omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Attachments

• fishung weight.JPG
    fishung weight.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 663
intresting omincognic im not sure it seems really flat doesnt seem like a fishing weight maybe a weight for something specific maybe the 1 and 1/4 is ounces a type of counter weight for a scale maybe a jewlers scale of some sort i really dont know do you have any way to weight it to see if it weighs 1 1/4 ounces like maybe a fish scale or something to that effect

Mav aka Vin Diesel

Upvote 0
I found one similar to that, but the loop is lead also, and it is just a 1 once...
I think as they said, " it's a weight for an old beam type scale "...

Upvote 0
It looks like the old type seal they use to put on utility meters to prevent tampering.

Upvote 0
Omni, although 1 1/4 ounce can be used for surf fishing to hold the bait on the bottom in surf, it's flat and wouldn't hold in the sand. Best guess would be a counter weight.

Upvote 0
Fishing weight, my grand dad had 100s of them in all diff sizes (1/8 oz thru 2 oz). They are round so that they don't get caught in between rocks like pencil type and reg type sinkers do. They may not have used them much in your part of the country (which is why you wouldn't think it to be a sinker) but here in MI, we have a lot of rocks in certain lakes & rivers, etc. and they were used widly (mostly in the 50s and before). I still see the 'older guys' using them now and then!

Upvote 0
I would say fishing weight, my dad always had several of those in his fishing box that he must have "inherited" from his dad since they looked old 25 years ago. As lonewolfe said, there were many different sizes. Not real sure why they were round though.

Dudes

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's a scale weight. They are not usually made of lead. Lead is too soft and easy to damage changing it's weight. Even old postage scales I've seen don't use lead.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back