Fish lures plus river monster

daydreamer

Dec 22, 2005
CHICO- Northern California
Detector(s) used
anything handy
I was inspecting an outfall in the feather river and found the mother lode of kwikfish lures- without getting them all I pulled up a quick bucketfull, some of these were just chained together ghost fishing on the bottom in a huge nest of fishing line. The fishing line that was recovered looked like a tumbleweed and was discarded after picking out 60 plus lures. Salmon and striper seem to be the target. A good find for any place I've seen.SCROLL DOWN FOR RIVER MONSTER

Attachments

• IM000266.JPG
    IM000266.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,445
  • IM000267.JPG
    IM000267.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,452
Upvote 0
Re: Fish lure bonanza

Stuff like this is why us divers wear two dive knives, one on a leg and another on the vest. Good job.

Sandman

Re: Fish lure bonanza

;D
I have another pair of finds in the same location. The pictured find is my second monofilament dragon! The dragon weighs more than 300 lbs., the main length is over twenty feet long, and it is full of lures,many hooks, weights, fishing poles, sunglasses, etc. The length does not include the octopus arms reaching out. It is made of lost lines from people fishing for salmon. It looks a lot like the nets you see wash up on the coast, but it is all single lines rapped together.The lines were so thick I dulled my dive knife twice and gave up on trying to bring it up in chunks, if a person was entangled they would die- there is no chance of cutting this with a knife. I used an acetylene torch on the surface to cut the first one up into chunks small enough to carry, and then started cutting weights out with a pair of tin snips, very slow work, but not so bad on the porch with a cold beer and the T.V. on. I liked these finds because they have a real value and they were a challenge to bring up. I had to use a large lift bag, a come a long, and a small boat to retrieve these.

My boss has been a commercial diver for over 20yrs and has never seen anything like this around here before.

The first one I found was like this one only thicker and ten feet long, it weighed over 200lbs.
I'm going back to find more, it seems like virgin territory. My tacklebox and my friends are all going to be full! Now thats fun for a day in the river!

Attachments

• 20foot dragon.JPG
    20foot dragon.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 859
  • 20footdragon.JPG
    20footdragon.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 844
  • longest dragon.JPG
    longest dragon.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,005
the fish and animals thank you---plus a full tackle box --good all around

You should forward these pics to every Fish & Game department of every state and let them use them in their public service announcements about discarding fishing line. I can honestly say, I have never seen anything quite like it ever.

Having just seen the results on sea turtles of human garbage and dumped line I agree with your fan who suggests you send your pics to Game and Fish in every state. You'd be doing everyone and thing a HUGE favor. Which you've done already. I've never heard of or seen the likes of what you've just educated us about. Many Thanks.
Whodom

It is a shame to see that. For all the fishing line to be in one place it must have been dumped by someone. I would suspect not by accident. I have retrieved a broken line or two while fishing and recovered nice lures in the process. Nice finds anyway. Thanks for cleaning up a fishing line dump spot.

Ed D.

!cid_049f01c77b94$84873c20$dc966f40@Amish.gif

Great Post & Finds !

Love the Monster.

Congrats !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back