Fish Hook

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this brass piece at a civil war encampment I was searching in west central Mississippi. It appears to be a fish hook fashioned from brass/copper.
What do you all think? The camp is very near streams and rivers that support large fish.

fish hook01.JPG

How big is it? And, by any chance the pointy end doesn’t have a hole, like a curved needle for sewing up an incision?

Upvote 0
Looks like a fence post staple to me....but brass?

Upvote 0
Hard to say being that I am not familiar with civil war era fish hooks.
End is definitely pointy like it could have been designed to pierce skin. Or it could have been broken or cut by a plow, and just happened to end up that way.
The fish hook/surgical instrument theory is possible. Some fishing knots do not require an eye on a hook.
Tedyoh mentioned a brass staple. Copper staples were used on power poles for attaching the #2 groundwire.
Hard to tell if it was designed that way for a purpose, or if it was just a piece of wire or something that had been damaged and ended up looking like a fish hook.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will reply.
Always enjoy seeing your finds Ripcon.
untitled.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great feedback. Thanks. This piece was found near a river and in a rural area where there has never been utility poles. But you never know. I guess that's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Upvote 0
I wonder if it could be a knap sack hook that was made into a fish hook?...d2

Upvote 0
Possibly could've been a knapsack hook and then fashioned into a fish hook.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back