First time metal detecting and a lesson learned

scforbis

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Bounty Hunter LoneStar this week and took it out today for the first time. I decided to try it near a dirt walking trail that runs along the river in my town. The town I live in goes back to the 1000s so I am really excited. The first hit was a 50 euro cent coin. Next, I found some kind of 2 serving nescafe coffee can. Looked old, but my wife threw it in the river before I could really check it out. After digging a few pieces of foil and some bottle caps, I was about to call it quits since it was raining. I got a strong hit. I dug an interesting looking coin and the detector was still hitting on the same spot... I looked around though the dirt and found another old coin. Once I rinsed the min the river I saw that I had a 1924 2 Rentenpfennig and a 1901 Reichspfennig. Made the hunt well worth it. I also found another 5 euro cent piece and a bullet. Both modern coins and the bullet went to my 5 year old son.

Now for the lesson learned. When I got home I wanted to get some of the green scale off of the coins. Being the beginner that I am,I decided to put the coins into some vinegar. Well,they shined up nice... too nice. Next time I will leave them in the condition that I find them unless someone can give me a few tips on cleaning up a coin enough to read it without losing the patina.

Hopefully tomorrow will be as eventful as today. If the weather is not too bad I plan to spend a lot more time detecting.

As a side note, I was at a flea market in the morning and picked up some pretty cool items: a 1985 175th anniversary Oktoberfest beer stein with certificate of authenticity. A 1964 Kennedy, 1950 Franklin, a 1942 dime, and a 1887 1 mark coin. First edition 1903 book Der Trompeter von Säkkingen. The last item was a piece of fake scrimshaw (probably not worth anything, but really cool looking).

Upvote 0
Tell your wife a plastic bag works alot better than the river.. Not trying to be rude but the river is no place for garbage.. Wether it was buried or not be the better person and carry it out...

I told her as soon as she did it.

Actually, I was quite surprised that she did that. Normally she is the really earth conscious one who tells me to watch what I do. We put the other scrap items in my backpack.

I just got my Bounty Hunter LoneStar this week and took it out today for the first time. I decided to try it near a dirt walking trail that runs along the river in my town. The town I live in goes back to the 1000s so I am really excited. The first hit was a 50 euro cent coin. Next, I found some kind of 2 serving nescafe coffee can. Looked old, but my wife threw it in the river before I could really check it out. After digging a few pieces of foil and some bottle caps, I was about to call it quits since it was raining. I got a strong hit. I dug an interesting looking coin and the detector was still hitting on the same spot... I looked around though the dirt and found another old coin. Once I rinsed the min the river I saw that I had a 1924 2 Rentenpfennig and a 1901 Reichspfennig. Made the hunt well worth it. I also found another 5 euro cent piece and a bullet. Both modern coins and the bullet went to my 5 year old son.

Now for the lesson learned. When I got home I wanted to get some of the green scale off of the coins. Being the beginner that I am,I decided to put the coins into some vinegar. Well,they shined up nice... too nice. Next time I will leave them in the condition that I find them unless someone can give me a few tips on cleaning up a coin enough to read it without losing the patina.

Hopefully tomorrow will be as eventful as today. If the weather is not too bad I plan to spend a lot more time detecting.

As a side note, I was at a flea market in the morning and picked up some pretty cool items: a 1985 175th anniversary Oktoberfest beer stein with certificate of authenticity. A 1964 Kennedy, 1950 Franklin, a 1942 dime, and a 1887 1 mark coin. First edition 1903 book Der Trompeter von Säkkingen. The last item was a piece of fake scrimshaw (probably not worth anything, but really cool looking).

Good to make MDing a family thing, Next time try olive oil and an old toothbrush and let it soak for a time too, the green melts away. HH Boris 20120511_105751.jpg

Where were you hunding. I don't mean exactly, but it sounds like you are in Germany. Great finds. It is such a thrill when the MD sounds off!

I am in the oberpfaltz (Upper Palatine) in Bavaria, Germany.... lots of history here... How about you?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back