First time bullet request

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi. Although I've participated in other ways on the site, this is my first time attempting to ID bullets. I could use a few tips on how to best do this myself without requesting help. I measured the diameters with calipers (5-measure averages), did the same for length (although nearly impossible for the split/smashed ones), and then weighed them using a kitchen scale. (Unfortunately the kitchen scale does not measure gram increments.) All measurements and visual angles are shown in the pics below.

I tried to look up the dimensions on the internet but came up empty handed. It seems most of the quality tables out there only measure the loaded cartridge and not the bullet alone.

Also interested to find out what that white stuff is inside each bullet and whether that affects the ability to get an accurate weight measurement.

As to measurements, I would think bullets deform both in the barrel and also upon impact, so I'm not sure how much credibility should be placed on measurements of apparently fired bullets?

And why is this 0.22 bullet white?

Thanks!! Promise to learn and not ask such newbie questions on bullet identification in the future.

Top views:
40979e571bff7ae9e15757f455431425.jpg

Side views:
393a454e1969041ce321e79e05203813.jpg

Bottom views:
0ea8438e0e4578851565dcbd3d658f64.jpg

They are all modern. The .22 is made of solid lead, hence the white. I'm not sure what the others were shot out of.

Upvote 0
A .38 special bullet measures .357, and a 9mm bullet measures .354331.
A 41 shotgun slug measures about .387 give or take a few thousands.
So it looks to me like you have a couple of 9mm bullets, and the .22 in a .22 short, long, or long rifle bullet.
The .395 and .396 bullet have me stumped.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back