First SLQ

surprman

Apr 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Hi All,

I found my first SLQ today. I found it in a park I had previously hit last year. (sorry for the poorer quality photo of the reverse)

DSC03669.JPGDSC03650.JPG

I think I have spent more time trying to figure out if I can discern a date than I actually spent MDing today! At 1X the surface looks pretty flat:

DSC03661.JPG

I played a bit with the image on microsoft photo editor and I think the date is 1923. For a while I thought it might be 1927, but I would have thought that with the design change that 1927 would have been more readable, given that the coin is not too badly worn. (so I am figuring pre-1925)

SLQ - 23.JPG
SLQ - 23B.JPG

Here is a scaled size date from a readable coin of the year (notice the indent on the right side of the "3")

4-29-082127.jpg

It has been some month! A few weeks ago I found an 1832 half dollar and now this. I bought my metal detector about a year ago - I must be getting better at reading my machine.

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
WOW ~ that's a nice looking Standing Liberty Quarter! CONGRAT'S on the sweet treasure coin! WOOHOOOO!!!

congrats on the SLQ! I found my first a few weeks ago too! Tim

surprman said:
Hi All,

I found my first SLQ today. I found it in a park I had previously hit last year. (sorry for the poorer quality photo of the reverse)

I think I have spent more time trying to figure out if I can discern a date than I actually spent MDing today! At 1X the surface looks pretty flat:

I played a bit with the image on microsoft photo editor and I think the date is 1923. For a while I thought it might be 1927, but I would have thought that with the design change that 1927 would have been more readable, given that the coin is not too badly worn. (so I am figuring pre-1925)

Here is a scaled size date from a readable coin of the year (notice the indent on the right side of the "3")

It has been some month! A few weeks ago I found an 1832 half dollar and now this. I bought my metal detector about a year ago - I must be getting better at reading my machine.

Thanks for looking!
Such a beautiful coin! All of that detail and no date, what a drag! That is the weakness of this coin where the date invites rubbing! When one finds such a coin and it's heads up one can accept the no-date much easier than when what you see first is the back and then you wonder if it's going to have a date or not. So you go through more possible heartbreak if you see the back first. But if you see the back first and you're really glad to have found it, and when you turn it over you see a date, oh, gloriosky!

Nice try with the enhancement but there is no way that computer enhancing, no matter how sophisticated, is going to show something where there is nothing.

Silver Fox

cool find

HH

Isn't it a rush n a half when you find your first standing liberty..and boy yours is in good shape.. looking good and big time congrats. too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back