First silver!! Mercury dime

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Well, we finally have silver.? The only thing is, I didn't find it.? My wife did!? Don't it figure...I spend hours and hours looking, buy a high end detector, and take my wife out to an old homesite this afternoon and she gets a solid coin signal and digs up this beautiful mercury dime with her radio shack detector.? You know what she did in my cornflakes when she did that.? I am happy for her though.? Looks like I have a detecting partner, lol!

1935, and it came out of the ground this pretty. She just washed it in the sink with soap and this is how it looked! It sure doesn't look like there's much wear on it.

Attachments

• eggandbutterval1.jpg
    eggandbutterval1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
Wow, you must have replied right after I posted. I edited it and added the year, and when I came back you had already replied, asking for the year ;D. 1935.

Ahhh Cheese, being the gentleman and letting the lady go first. Bet you'll have to just work harder or you'll lose a bet like doin' the dishes ;D Keep hunting and have fun w/the CZ. It'll come to ya'. By the way, ya otta make her post her own finds. LOL

Nice! I wish they still made money like they used to. Once clad touches the grass, It's beyond recognition.

THATS a nice dime! keep up the good work it takes a lot of looking to find the good stuff!

Thanks for the compliments! She is getting more and more interested in what you folks have to say about "her dime". She even checks in from time to time. She'll be posting before long I bet.

We were hunting the site, trying to keep the vines and branches from ripping our coils off, and we both hit targets. Mine turned out to be a rusty nail. While I was kneeling at my hole, she says rather calmly, "I found a mercury dime". I figured she was kidding me (we pick at each other a lot), and kinda turned a bit and looked. She was looking at something in her hand. I walked over and sure enough, it was. I was more exited than she was I guess, lol. The more it sank in that she found a 70 year old piece of silver in excellent condition in the middle of the woods with her little detector, the prouder she got. Now she tries to rub it in. I gotta out-do her, or I won't be able to live with her much longer ;D, LOL!

I am still amazed that it could come out of the ground in such good shape. The little ridges around the edge are almost sharp, and the finish is almost mirror-like.

I was going to try to go back there sunday afternoon, and if I do, it won't be for long. Out of town company is coming to visit. Oh well, maybe monday if it doesn't rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back