First Shield Nickel

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first shield nickel yesterday, and it was in pretty good shape. Spent a good 4 hours in a farm field that is currently a pain to swing in with corn stalks. This place never produces a lot, but there is very little trash. There was a camp ground here in the 1860's. I have found three two cent pieces here, I got one seated dime here, my dad got another and we've maybe found 10 Indian heads here. Found a neat home made button yesterday that I liked too, looks like the end of a spoon that someone holed for a button.
20230402_135853.jpg
20230402_135902.jpg
20230402_164603.jpg
20230402_164609.jpg
20230402_175045.jpg

Upvote 21
I found a sheld nickle earlier this year. I tried cleaning it up and made it worse. I tried steel wool, Different types of Andre pencils and have made it worse, BE CAREFUL with yours !11

Found my first shield nickel yesterday, and it was in pretty good shape. Spent a good 4 hours in a farm field that is currently a pain to swing in with corn stalks. This place never produces a lot, but there is very little trash. There was a camp ground here in the 1860's. I have found three two cent pieces here, I got one seated dime here, my dad got another and we've maybe found 10 Indian heads here. Found a neat home made button yesterday that I liked too, looks like the end of a spoon that someone holed for a button.
View attachment 2077310View attachment 2077311View attachment 2077312View attachment 2077313View attachment 2077308
I would love to find a shield nickel... congratulations on your first one!

Thanks, yeah they are a pain. I wanted to get in there once before the field is planted. There is a bit of native American stuff in this field also. I was hoping it had been plowed, we had storms the day before and last weekend. I found half an arrowhead there a couple years ago, my dad has a handful from there that he found before I was born. Hopefully I can get there one more time between plowing and planting. Should be soy beans this year, at least next spring shouldn't be as bad to swing. I haven't found a 3 cent nickel yet, there should be one there somewhere with the date range showing up. I dug several smashed .22 bullets hoping to see one pop out.

I found a sheld nickle earlier this year. I tried cleaning it up and made it worse. I tried steel wool, Different types of Andre pencils and have made it worse, BE CAREFUL with yours !11
I started using the Andre pencils on an IH and realized that I needed to stop...scratched it...and I didn't use distilled water to rinse it... I'll be more careful next time...

Better to use chemistry to clean, rather than anything abrasive. The partially frozen vinegar/peroxide soak works amazingly on crusty nickels.

View attachment 2077310View attachment 2077311View attachment 2077312View attachment 2077313View attachment 2077308
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back