First Real Hunt In Salt Water

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I am headed toward the coast this week for some serious detecting in the surf. I have the tide tables for the area I will be working. Since I am totally new to this phase of detecting, I am looking for any hints or suggestions that might help me along. I am figuring low tide would be the best time to hunt, but again, I am new to this and would appreciate any comments. Before anyone ask, I have a Whites Beach Hunter ID and ave made the weights for the coil.
Thanks

Sorry I have no beach experience P M , but I'm certain with
your proven metal detecting talents you'll figure it all out very
quickly. Good luck and keep us posted :)

Doozis

Good luck with the Beach Hunter ID in the surf. Take note at some locations it will act unstable when the waves wash over the coil due to the amount of black sand and salt content. Out of the waves or more underwater it should be fine however. Just test it on a pull tab to make sure you can hear it. 90% of the gold rings are in the pull tab range.

thegoldenolde.com/ is the site to learn more about the beach hunting. I am not the Sandman mentioned there, but know him.

Hey pigg,

I recently came back from FL. The best session I had as far as water calmness was just before sunrise on South Beach. The water was as still as I've ever seen it for South Beach. I detected chest deep without any surf splashin on me. And I found this ring in 5 feet of water, 5" into the sand. Good Luck with the hunt ;)

Attachments

• 14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 170
  • South Miami Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    South Miami Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 161
  • South Miami Beach 09.01.7.JPG
    South Miami Beach 09.01.7.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 166
  • South Miami Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    South Miami Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 170
  • South Miami Beach 09.01.7.JPG
    South Miami Beach 09.01.7.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 159
Saltwater hunting can be very fun. Just have to work out the false signals and be able to withstand the surf pounding on ya in the rough,shallow waters. Ang dont panic when you step on the first flounder or sting ray..or the small fish start chewing on you..its all part of the experience.
The goodies are out there , be certain of that. Have almost paid for my BH ID this yr.. Almost...
Get a good scoop and a pair of shorts that wont slip off :o and away you go.. Looking forward to seeing your finds. 8)

Sandman said:
Good luck with the Beach Hunter ID in the surf. Take note at some locations it will act unstable when the waves wash over the coil due to the amount of black sand and salt content. Out of the waves or more underwater it should be fine however. Just test it on a pull tab to make sure you can hear it. 90% of the gold rings are in the pull tab range.

thegoldenolde.com/ is the site to learn more about the beach hunting. I am not the Sandman mentioned there, but know him.

Thanks, there's a lot of good info on that link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back