First Post, found 1857 Seated Liberty Dime

• Thread starter frankiesaysrelax
  • Start date
F

frankiesaysrelax

Hi All,

We eradicated a huge, overgrown bush in the front yard and I busted out the metal detector & searched the area. Though our house was built in 1873 all I have ever found in the yard was a solitary wheat penny. Well, I dusted off my IDX pro, put some batterys in it, and gave the new spot a try. As soon as I turned the detector on I got a signal, but not a good one. About two inches down I found a small wad of aluminum sheet metal about the size of a nickel. Pocketing it, I reswept the area, and got a clear signal from the tailings I had just dug up. Sifting through it with my fingers I found a small silver coin. Wiping the dirt off of it with my thumb, I hoped to see the visage of a winged lady and not that of FDR, but to my great surprise I saw that what I had found was not a Rooservelt dime, nor a Mercury dime, nor a Barber dime, but in fact an 1857 dated Seated Liberty dime.
I spent another hour or so scouring the area, unearthing a few brass screws, a small brass knob, several more wads of aluminum, and an extremely rusted Jew's Harp. No more coins came to light. Still, I was quite happy with my find.

Upvote 0
Cool! I can't beleive that you only found that one old coin and no others. I guess the people that lived there long ago were close money watchers!

Matt

Sure, here are a few pics. ?The coin next to it is a Spanish 2 Reale dated 1775 that my best friend found on the beach when he was a little kid. ?He gave it to me a few years ago as a present because he knew it fascinated me. ?

seatedlibertyobverse.jpg

There are some reflections in the scan, it is not quite as worn as it appears, but it came out of the ground just as clean as you see it here. ?"Liberty" is still barely visible on her shield. ?

seatedlibertyreverse.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. :)

I used to be an avid detector when I was a child, and decided to get back into it a few years ago. However then I went back to grad school and my life became very busy. Now I have some free time and hope to do some more detecting soon. I'm in NY on the eastern end of Long Island.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great find. My wife is from Brooklyn and her cousin just got married up there and had the reception at the big winery. Her Aunt had a house there too. You ought to hit those beaches up there hard! Pretty well to do crowd up that way. Might make for some nice finds. I saw some nice rocks on a few fingers that could easily slip off at the beach. Just a thought. Good Hunting

I hear that. I never seem to find anything but clad on the beaches though. Once I found a cheap sterling silver bracelet, but I actually saw it before I got near it with the detector, LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back