First outing

P

Pistol_Pete

Today I had a couple of hours to try out my first metal detector. On our land there are two pre depression home sites and I was able to find one of them with a little research. I know the home site is at least 80 years old and more than likely older. The site is grown up with young trees and will take two full days of cleaning to make it searchable. In the few spots I could get to, I found these old tools, but I still have not figured out how to effectively use my new Ace yet. The old timer I talked to said the farmer was poor and raised his family on what an 80 acre piece of land produced. Will an old farmhouse like this one produce keepers or can I only expect more of what I found today.

Attachments

• farm house.JPG
    farm house.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 573
Upvote 0
PP,

"Will an old farmhouse like this one produce
keepers or can I only expect more of what
I found today."

Those are all keepers, artifacts ;D ;)

Well looks like you found the spot. I would
sure keep hitting it. Never know what you
will pull up.

have a good un..........

That's a good start, Pete. Keep on digging. :)

It's great that you have some old home sites on your own land. You can make crater-sized holes and nobody cares! ::) ;)

You'll probably find some keepers. Be patient and dig everything. That's how you learn your machine. Good luck!!

They were most likely not the only ones ever on the property themselves so there's allways a chance of finding goodies, HH

More than likely you'll find more old scrap iron. I live in Texas, and have come across situations like that here. One place had lots of nice old iron relics( horseshoes, old lantern parts, old broken spoons,saddle buckles etc., but only one old cent!

Happy Hunting!

This is a great opportunity to learn your machine, detect at your own pace and not answer to anyone about it. And, you will probably find something; I've concluded that anywhere humans go, their money ends up on, then in, the ground. It may not be a lot, but keep looking. Try to figure out where outhouses may have been, or driveways. Look for old stumps, or craters where an old stump used to be; large trees were good resting spots. There has to be some silver out there.

My best finds have been old farm sites.If your getting old metal parts you may be closer to the farm than the house.But the way i see it if they lost parts that big the coins will turn up.Most old farms i hunt sometimes i have had to clean it up first with larger objects and trash.With the ace i would set it to the jewery mode after getting the larger objects up and go through the area again.One old farm i hunted only turned up large metal parts another one turned up wheaties and some silver.It looks like your off to a great start.You will love this hobby.HH

Good start Pete. Just keep digging everything If you only dig the high tones you will miss lots of small brass relics and nickels.

Welcome to the addiction Pete! I have a similar house that I have searched. The family was dirt poor. Still, even with that fact, I still pulled Wheaties and artifacts from the dirt. You can bet your detector that there are some goodies out there. Keep diggin!

Maybe the guy just lived poor because he was a miser. I know it sounds "out there" but ya never know. My wifes grandparents live in NW Arkansas, we may be down that way closer to spring, so maybe I can swing over and help ya find out if there are any good "keepers" or not !!!!

P.S.- congrats on finally getting that detector !!!

I hunt a lot of old houses and I really cant think of a single site that hasnt given up a few coins and this and thats,since its on your land you can hunt at your leisure. I wouldnt clear the whole area out and kill yourself,clear out an area around 10x10 and hunt it out of signals. Your digs seem to indicate you are closer to the barn than the house,when u start hitting a lot of household trash then you are probably behind the house, look for the old outhouse that will be about 50 ft from the house,and careful not to step in an old well that would really spoil your day, HH...Shoot

Excellent!! It's a great hobby. I just got back into it and have re-discovered the fun!
Like said before, it is a great way to "get the feel of your machine". I have been working on an area and only diging 0-2 inches on each program and moving to the 2-4 inches, and so on; I have found that after 3 weeks I can tell what the "beep is" and not even look at the indicator, (except when the damn trains go by!) I have found it very benificial, as I can bypass those post 1982 pennies! (I still think the person who came up with the idea of zinc pennies is an idiot!). Anyways, keep hunting! ;D

Scots - be careful passing on zinc pennies, if they read deep, always dig 'em. My tesoro reads corroded coppers as zinc, I've gotten two IH and several older, rarer wheats by digging deep "zinc" hits.

Gold Fish, I would be more than happy to have you over. We can search the old home site and by that time I will have found the other one. There are also two abandoned school yards and two ghost towns, within 5 miles of my house. The only problem is that from Little Rock you are looking at a 5 hour drive to get to PV. But if you can make the trip I can treat you to the best Mexican Restaurant in Oklahoma. If you’re not big on Mexican there is an old steak house in town called Bob's Pig Shop, and Friday night they serve outstanding prime rib. Bring your wife and just make a weekend out of it, we have a guest bedroom that you can both stay in (my wife loves to have company). You can also bring your puppy; we have a Yorkshire Terrier, a Border Collie, and a cat they both chew on.

Attachments

• daisy and luke.JPG
    daisy and luke.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 342
Actually, her grandparents live right near bentonville. I'll definately send ya a buzz if we head that way !!

I would listen to all the folks above. Lots of good advice. Lots of things to learn. Each time you dig up something keep a note of the tone, depth, and item that came out of the hole. Digging everything is good advice for a beginner. HOOOWEVER, and correct me IF I am wrong, digging everything can be a bit overwhelming for one who has just begun this hobby.

I suggest picking a small area, say, 10'x10' in your own yard and dig everything out of that. Don't venture out of that little square until you have removed every single tone. It might seem like an easy task at first, since it is only 100 square feet. Seems like every time a you think you have them all another signal appears. Believe me when I say you will probably never get it all the first time around and probably not the second time either. Just earlier this week, after having scavenged my yard for several months, I decided to dig ALL tones. I leave my machine in disc mode since it seems to recover from signal to signal faster that way. I dug several nails that were thrown into the grass along the driveway sidewalk when the house was built in 1950. After having removed all the nails from a 3 foot area I got an unexpected tone from a nickel. This was after I had backfilled all my holes. I scanned the freshly filled area and popped out not one, but, two modern nickels. Both of them less than 5 years old.

The nails all came out of 6" or so of dirt. I mean several, as in approximately 10 or so, and the nickel sounds NEVER once sounded off before I dug the nails. These two nickels would have only been a half inch or less in the dirt. I have scanned that area of the yard many many times. This is PROOF positive that removing the iron CAN allow other signals to emerge if there are really other targets buried near them.

Sure go for it and dig up all the coin signals you find at first. Everntualy you may want to start digging as much iron as possible. GL and HH

Laater...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back