542CC3D2-70FD-45C3-BE75-2AC3F84A1584.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • E47BCA0C-53C8-4E14-9076-C0D471F67EE4.jpeg
    E47BCA0C-53C8-4E14-9076-C0D471F67EE4.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 18
Waiting for my first LC, congrats on yours

Thanks. You’ll find it.

I was following old iron signals where I’ve estimated an old 1840s home site used to be on my families farm. I’ve hit this particular area 3 separate days mostly finding iron tools and some wheaties.

This one was only about 3-4 inches deep.

Nice old coin shooting, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on your first Large Cent. It's always fun to dig those.

Way to go! Congrats on the LC :icon_thumleft:

Congrats . That’s a good one to try something. You aren’t going to make it worse . Try warm peroxide. I’ve got a jar full of toasted large coppers .

Nice finds! I use boiling peroxide on my Indians and early wheats- usually quite successful- GL if you go that route.

Definitely a braided hair LC. Looks pretty crusty, might want to leave that one alone. Congrats!!!!

Yeah i think you’re right, it may be too crusty. It does look like the last two numbers are 21 so it should be an 1821. I’ll probably leave just leave it alone now. Thanks for the info.

Congrats on the L.C. I would also leave that one alone. Looks a little too crusty to have any further luck with peroxide. I'm not against peroxide. It works well on coins that have solid surfaces. Its just that that one looks a little too flaky to get any better. I've put coins that look like that in peroxide and ended up with coins that lack enough detail to even get an ID on.

I did try peroxide a little yesterday. Made the head of the coin worse, but it was already bad. The stars are more distinguishable but the face and year are worse...But the back is better. It’s ok. Lesson learned.

I did find a good video from aquachigger, it’s long but i like the approach. Probably wouldn’t have helped me on this one anyway. It’s the tooth pick and face oil approach. I’ve read about it before and he demonstrates proper method. He’s against putting water or liquid on the coin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cfVkadI_A

Congrats on your largie! Still looking for my first US large cent. I've got a few from Canada, one from Hong Kong and one from the East India Company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back