First hour with my detector.

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
OK.. I went to the park with the kids and between helping them fly kites, etc.. I did about an hours worth of detecting...

I can't say I found much. I found:

(1) 1962 Penny
(1) 1999 Dime
(3) Nails
(1) Piece of Metal

It was fun -- I think just getting hits is a learning experience as you can start learning the tones...

I think I need to read my manual again and watch the video... I have a GTI-2500 which I'm using in the default "discriminate coins" mode. Sometimes it "beeps" and sometimes it "dings".. I'm not sure if I should be digging the "beeps" too. Or what the difference is... It's been a few months since I watched the video.

Having fun though.

Garrett

Upvote 0
Hang in Garrett,The good finds will come as you learn your MD and hobby,Look on the bright side first time out,you made the park cleaner and spent time with the kids and hobby.Good times are hard to work in this day and time.HH

For the first few hours with a new machine, dig EVERYTHING. That will give you an idea of what everything sounds like. It will keep you from missing good stuff in the future.

Arch

archmjr said:
For the first few hours with a new machine, dig EVERYTHING.? That will give you an idea of what everything sounds like.? It will keep you from missing good stuff in the future.

Arch

There's some good advice... You'll never really know whats under the coil, making the all the noise, until you dig it...
Even after having my detector for close to a year, I'm, still learning different settings,and sounds to dig...
I don't pay a lot of attention to the ID meter, they have been know to be wrong more than once...
Good Luck & hang in there,,, the more you use the machine the better you will get with it... That is guarantied...

By all means, go back and watch the video, take notes, and practice-practice-practice. Take the time to learn your machine as the stuff isn't going anywhere unless I get there before you. HAHA.

Thanks for the replies and great advice everyone!!!!

Two of the nails were on top of the surface -- so I'm glad I got them before some kid stepped on one... I remember stepping on a rusty nail once when I was little -- went right through my foot -- NOT FUN!!!!

Oh... I found one half of a pull-tab too!! :) Could go an hour without getting at least one of those!

Garrett

From what I know about Garrett machines, the "beep" is the nickle/gold tone, and the belltone is the coin tone... correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but that's what I believe to be true...

and yes, dig everything right now, paying attention to what each sound is and what object made it... also see if you can see a pattern developing between the two...

I use a Bounty Hunter, and I'm lazy and just hunt for coins - unless the site is really clean and I'm not digging signals every foot...

I've had my detector since Christmas and learn something new nearly every time I visit the forum. Ditto my excursions into the field. My best advice is to plant a coin/relic garden in your yard to practice on. I put several coins and objects about 4" deep along my fence and marked on the fence what it was. About once a week I go out and run the fence just to remind my mind what different things sound like. It's starting to get almost automatic when I hear a specific tone to be able to identify what I am over. Out in the field I try to guess what it is I am about to dig and over the last 4 months I find I am getting it right more and more of the time. I have found some good stuff along with the clad and pull tabs and I would like to think it is because I am getting better, but a certain amount of my success is blind a$$ luck! Someone said they would take luck over skill any day and that's how I feel most of the time! But what fun I am having in the meantime !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back