First gold ring and a bracelet

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a lead from Bergie on a park that used to be the fair/circus grounds way back when. We were curious about it so i hit it today. No silver yet, but I dont think anyone has detected this place as i dug so much clad that i was finding them 4 to a hole and nailed a sweet gold ruby womans ring and a steel ID bracelet that has seen better days. Heading back out in a few to pick up where i left off at an old 1907 church that the pastor is letting me hunt.

Upvote 0
Struck out at the Church. No coins at all! All's not lost however as i found out the location of a burnt down church foundation from 1906 that was the one they used prior to the one i was at today.

Church's are tough. Most of the old ones have been picked over the years and you just can't find much. I found one here dating to 1857 and thought I hit a honey hole. Hit it a couple times and never found a thing. Talked to my neighbor who is a lifelong resident and it turns out he has a detector too. Guess what ? He and his friends had picked that place 10 years ago. One of his friends found a 2 1/2 gold piece there ???

Oh well, guess they are never truely hunted out, but the slim pickens sure makes it tough to keep going back.

My neighbor and I are going to drive way out in the boonies some time next year and use the atlas to find some old churches. We are hoping the "true" boonies may have more to give up (I live in a town of 5000, so I am talking real boonies).

Oh, that sucks, Gribnitz! Sorry to hear that. I hope i dont hear about any gold pieces being found at this place in the past. Thats something i would rather not know about.

I have always had good luck with church yards.When church lets out especially at night during the summer the adults gather around to gossip-eh I mean talk and the kids play in the church yard.I believe you shouldn't give up on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back