First eagle button

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Found my first eagle button today, but just missed the civil war. Got to go to a new spot with a house that was built in 1895. Was not expecting too much since it was an old farm house quite a ways from town. Usually don't find many old coins at these places, but more relics and things. At one spot between two old stumps I found my first eagle button. It is backmarked Thomas Hood Philidelphia which dates it from 1886 to 1887. Indian war era not civil war. Right next to it was an enameled Vermont Brigade badge on silver from around the same period. The motto on it says, "Put the Vermonters Ahead", which comes from the civil war battles of the brigade. They will definately be displayed together. It was a really nice day!!!! Lance

Attachments

• Vermont Brigade.jpg
    Vermont Brigade.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
Great finds Lance and the condition of the two pieces is excellent!

8) pieces Lance! Ask your bro how many belt plates have been found over the years, then show him the Vermont Brigade badge. j/k, I know you both hunt well together. HH and congrats.

Great finds!! On the back is philadelphia abreviated, to where it says philada.? I found 3 eagle buttons that say Horstmann Philada on the back, rather than the whole word. Was just curious if it was a common practice back then. Thanks and WTG!!! HH

Excellent finds!

I'd be going back there again!

HH

Lonewolfe

Purdy ones there...Nice finds
Dave

Thats a couple of awesome pieces of history there.WTG!!

Awesome finds, Lance... WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Your the man Lance. Great Finds and ones to definitely be proud of. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back