First day(s) metal detecting ever!!!

Y

yurt_boy

Well, I took all your advice and picked the ACE 250 as my first MD. Came in the mail Thursday afternoon. Friday after work I took it down an old sandwash where there'd been some recent flash-flooding. All I found was a handful of Indian pottery, but not even a bottlecap! Felt like asking for a refund. Saturday, I took my dad, son and nephew to a place where I'd seen a bunch of old tin cans, horseshoes and wine barrel hoops out in the desert. It had rained pretty hard beforehand, so there were ants everywhere. Didn't have much luck, but I did dig out a sliver of a hand-forged finishing nail, so my confidence level in the machine went way up. On the way back to the truck, my five year old son (who hadn't shown much interest in anything other than stomping ants up 'til then) yelled "Daddy, lemme try!" I handed him the machine and within two seconds he had a strong signal. We dug down about four inches and he unearthed a big piece of iron something. Round with hand-cut threads on one end. Other end had been hammered flat and had two holes in it. Looks like maybe an old gear shift. To him, it was "TREASURE!"

Upvote 0
Sounds like a good first day or two. You will have many exciting hunts ahead! Old hidden Churches and old houses of people you know are some of the best places to hunt. To me most anywhere else is hunted out real good by other MDers.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Attachments

• dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 222
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 213
  • dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 220
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 217
you know what i would do if i were you yurt? i would go to the local elementary school and hunt on the playground with that new ace. there probably wont be any old valuble stuff there,but there should be a high volume of clad coins to practice finding and pinpointing with.the schools around here are loaded with clad coins! the ace is a great machine to get started on. you wont believe how many coins you will find with it!

Nice day out, yurt, and way to go fostering the family time. ?Take a look around any schoolyard playgrounds in the area, the pickings may be a little slim during the summer but you will find something, and the school year starts very soon. ?

Good luck and welcome aboard!

HH

Any day spent with your Son and Father at the same time is a treasure!
I bought my newest MD on Thursday night I believe, I live in Military base house'ing that was built in the 50's. I've been hunting all the old parks in it 2 times a day, morning and dusk. So far over 5 bucks in change, including 2 silver coins 41 quarter and 64 dime, alot of trash and a Marine Corps alpha uniform belt buckle. Keep at it and it will come to you.

bump up to revise?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back