First day out in 3 years

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
So last week my wifes Grandfather called and said he had lost his wedding ring in his backyard while doing some yardwork. He's in his late 80's and very sharp (WWII Vet). He was pretty upset so my wife asked if I would go over with my MD and look for it. So, I pulled the MD down from my rafters in the garage, put the batteries in it and went over. It took me less than 5 minutes to find his ring and he was ecstatic! I put the MD in the trunk of my car and decided to leave it there in hopes of using it more often. So today at lunch I decided to hit a neighborhood park and start swinging. To my suprise I get a hit on my very first swing. I start scooping up sand and lo and behold a silver ring with a pink stone winks at me. It looks to be a young girls ring and although I don;t think its real silver it does have a nice pink stone set in it. Not sure if its real or not but its my first ring and I am hooked again.
Now, 15 minutes later i get another hit. I dig up the strangest thing ever. I was NOT expecting to find what looks like a musket ball. Not one but TWO within 2 feet of each other. They are roughly the size of marbles (a little larger), rust color, heavy and pitted. There were no battles fought in the park that I know of :) so I am a little confused as to what they are. The park ranger came over and told me that he keeps his MD in his truck and occasionally hunts the park for coins. I showed him the balls and he concured that they in fact do look alot like musket balls. He said they may have been in the sand when it was put in the park. Who knows. I don;t have a camera with me to post pics but maybe I can later.
Anyway, I am hooked again and have already spotted some cool areas I am going to hit. I also know of a few old homesteads, Indian trails and a couple old stagecoach trails I will definately be searching.

Upvote 0
Get that detecta warmed up and stop slacking off

3 years? I feel sick if I go for three days and am usually thinking about it at least every 3 hours. You should have stayed and hunted the rest of papaws yard may be some treasure buried there. Welcome back to the sicknes...Shoot

Good to have you back with us! Welcome to the Tnet also. Now that you're hooked agan we're looking fwd to hearing more about your finds. Happy Hunting

Desertfox

Welcome back to the Insanity!!!!

I don't think I could last 3 years either.

WB,
SgtSki

shootist said:
3 years? I feel sick if I go for three days and am usually thinking about it at least every 3 hours.

That's pretty darn funny! :D Thanks for the laugh!

Great to have you, musketsballs are ushually gray to white, and ushually smooth and have marks from a pocket knife. soldiers used to carve bullets into a rounder shape

HH
-GC

Just got back from another outing close to work. I decided to hit the park and try the vollyball court. Its nice clean sand and I was hoping for anything and thats exactly what I got...I found a hairpin....Tomorrow I will hope for pounds and pounds of gold.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back