First Day Hunting

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Hi guys,
I am a newbie. I just purchased my first ever metal detector via mail order, a Viking IV, and recieved it on Monday. I went out last night for my very first time ever using a metal detector.
I spent about 2 hours sweeping a river-side park, and found 5 old coins, Irish 50p's.
I found about 1 coin for every 7-8 bottle caps, but I am hooked now.
I'm looking forward to some interesting finds where I live in southwestern Ireland, there were viking settlments here, as well as many old castles and ruins.

I havn't found anything good enough to post yet, but I look forward to being a contributor.
This is a great website.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
welcome to the group and congrats to your new addiction!sounds like a great place to hunt,have fun and keep postin.

peace,bigrig

Welcome to the forum and hobby DJ, Grats on your new MD. You have a lot of history that we don't have in the states,So we look forward to your post.HH

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the finds and I'm sure that there will be many more. My family is originally from County Mayo. Great grandmothers maiden name was White. My first name is, believe it or not, Clancy! I'd like to get over there sometime. Maybe in a couple of years. Post lots of pictures so we can see all that greenery.

Thanks folks! Co. Mayo is a beautifull area.
There is a lot of history here, the town I live in is 1,000 years old, so there is no shortage of relics, just strict rules about what you can keep. But of course I want to be responsible and preserve any heritage sites. Old farms and along the beaches should keep me busy this summer.

In Waterford, about 20 miles from were I live, they are excavating a Viking settlment along the River Suir.
I know one of the archaeologists, and they have uncovered what must of been an important individual, who was burried in complete armour along with his sword.
How cool would that be to find with a MD?

Anyway, happy hunting!

DJ

DJ,
If you are just starting out you have a lost of great moments ahead of you. A lot of first! First ring, first pre 1900 coin, first pre 1800 coin, first pre1700 coin, first pre 1600 coin, first gold coin. Get the picture. Is Ireland similar in metal detecting laws as England?
The area should be ripe for the picking all that history.

Ed Donovan

Ed,
The laws are pretty much the same as in England, but there are only 4 million people in Ireland, and lots of places to hunt.
Hope you get a chance to make it over.

DJ

Would love to get there. I have traced my Irish ancestors to County Cork.

Ed Donovan

Congrads! You have some great history there.What town are you near? My wife are planning on a trip in late summer. We went to kilarny about two months ago and loved it. :)

Congrats on the finds. Sounds like you have an awesome place to hunt. I'm thrilled to find a 100 year-old coin and you will have chances to find coins a few hundred years old! Awesome!

Good luck and happy hunting,

Kent

Yeah we are all hooked. Congratulations on your first finds Keep postng and welcome to the forum.

Re: First Day Hunting/ Welcome Newbie

Congrats and Welcome..I am a Newbie here too. Just joined this forum last week,but have been Treasure Hunting/Metal Detecting over 10 years now..Here in the U.S. we can only find coins and relics up to 100 + years old in most cities.. You are fortunate to be able to find 1000 + year old artifacts and coins..I know if you are anything like most of us ,you we be a M.D. addict in no time...
You can learn some here at the forum...So...Visit often....and.... Have fun cousin....

WTG!! (Way to Go) Welcome to a great hobby and chat forum.

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 124
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 125

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back