First Confederate button of 2014! Coat AVC!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Confederate button of 2014! Coat Alabama Volunteer Corp !!! Better pics!
Well thirteen days into the new year and I'm already on the board with my first Confederate button and it's a nice one! I finally made it back to artillery spot that I have pounded over the last several months. Other than another blown base to a 10 pound Reed - Parrot I could find absolutely nothing! To be honest I thought my detector was malfunctioning. So I went back to the landowners house and found him talking to one of his neighbors that border his property. Long story short ..........I had secured another hunting site by the time I left. On the way home I stopped. This site is mostly fields that encompass over 50 acres. I barely had an hour so all I could do was walk to one of the highest points of one of the fields. Well about 10 minutes later I found a coat button only 3 inches in the ground. It was missing its shank and looked like it had been stepped on but I could clearly see the drooped wings of an eagle! In the last 5 minutes of daylight I dug 2 more musket balls and then had to leave. Well once home after a gently rinse I could clearly see the letters AVC! Folks .......this is only the second Alabama Volunteer Corp button I have ever found! It has a large push and is missing its shank but I think it adds character! As we relic hunters say ......... "it is what it is." I'm very happy to have rescued it. And I have only begun to search this area and I KNOW there's more! Maybe this will be the year I find another marked Confederate State seal plate! I have my fingers crossed! I added another picture of the button after I fine cleaned it a little more today bringing out a little more of the detail. I laid it on a Hotchkiss sabot that was found in the same immediate area. You can even see the impression of the canvas that originally covered the shell! I think this is a great pic! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 4
I really like that button!!! I think that is an awesome find and originated in my home state.....:icon_thumleft: Great job.

Nice find. I would love to find a military button.

That is a very nice button John. Congrats on finding a rare Confederate button.

Congratulations. Nice find. Sounds like you have a good spot there. Hope you find that buckle.

Very nice find. Hopeful that this will be the first of many for you at this site. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Awesome find fellow Nautilus user! Congrats on finding that scarce button :notworthy:

Looks great on the sabot...you should display that way. Brings out the button. !!! Awesome.

Devon, my hats off to you. That AVC is a button on my list of got2dig. But I'll just have to look at yours for now. HH...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back