Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a brief (2 day) respite from winter over the weekend, so I got my first real chance to try this thing (Dēus II) out.
Back yard & "meadow" were still under water, so I was limited to the front yard.

Day 1: General Program 1 : Found what I expected; more aluminum gutter scraps, some ring tops, can slaw, a "lump" of something, and a 1984 Jefferson nickel--nice patina on obverse; reverse is... not so nice.

Day 2: Deep HC Program 6: More gutter aluminum, foil, and a mystery... At 10" deep I uncovered a 2015 quarter (North Carolina). The mystery? We've lived here since 1990. How did a 2015 quarter get buried 10" deep in the middle of my front yard? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 5
We had a brief (2 day) respite from winter over the weekend, so I got my first real chance to try this thing (Dēus II) out.
Back yard & "meadow" were still under water, so I was limited to the front yard.

Day 1: General Program 1 : Found what I expected; more aluminum gutter scraps, some ring tops, can slaw, a "lump" of something, and a 1984 Jefferson nickel--nice patina on obverse; reverse is... not so nice.

Day 2: Deep HC Program 6: More gutter aluminum, foil, and a mystery... At 10" deep I uncovered a 2015 quarter (North Carolina). The mystery? We've lived here since 1990. How did a 2015 quarter get buried 10" deep in the middle of my front yard? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
🤔

Getting to hunt in February is great.
In really wet ground conditions I've read that the general program is recommended over some of the other programs.
Well at least you're on the board now for getting some coins.
As far was why that quarter was so deep :dontknow:

Getting to hunt in February is great.
In really wet ground conditions I've read that the general program is recommended over some of the other programs.
Could be. It's not just wet--it's literally under 1-3" of surface water (and I need new boots :sadsmiley:).
Front yard is a couple feet higher, so the soil is dry & diggable.

Well at least you're on the board now for getting some coins.
As far was why that quarter was so deep :dontknow:
Yeah, 'tis a puzzlement. If we'd had a passel of kids or something, I'd get it, but the only thing we've ever done in the front yard is throw a ball for those of the furry butt persuasion... And that was in a different part of the yard! 😲

I spoze someone could have lost it while mowing, but that still doesn't account for the depth. Front yard never gets as wet as the back, so (if this happens) the quarter couldn't have sunk in the mud.

I think I'm going to get some mileage from this one (on the home front)... 🤨 😁

I'm also more eager than ever to get searching out back (where the original farm fields were). I'm not looking forward to the 150 years worth of old spent ammo & "Willies" I know are down there... 😭

Maybe a metal detectorist friend poked a hole and dropped the 2015 quarter in for a joke?

I'm with Almy as I've had people put dimes in front of me and they stick them in the ground on edge and are harder to hit on that way.

Maybe a metal detectorist friend poked a hole and dropped the 2015 quarter in for a joke?
No. I just got my first detector for Christmas. I can count the # of detectorists I've met in-person on one hand, and none of them know where I live.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back