First coin!!!!!!!!!!

Y

yurt_boy

I set the alarm for 2:30 am and was tempted to turn it off when it sounded. Determined, yet again, to strike it rich, however, I pulled myself out of bed and zombied out to the car. I had carefully selected a public playground a couple miles from the house. The whole way there, I was remembering my mother's Egyptian poison ring. See, my Great Grandfather worked for the State Department (read "spy") during WWI. He was stationed in Cairo for awhile and became involved in some "amateur archaeology of questionable legality." One of many items that have since been handed down in the family was a solid gold ring bearing a turquoise scarab in a hinged gold setting. If you took the ring off, you could spin the scarab around, revealing a heiroglyph. If you knew what you were doing, you could then pry the heiroglyph up, revealing a hidden compartment. We were always told the heiroglyph was a wax seal and the compartment held poison, in case the wearer fell into enemy hands and wasn't all that interested in being tortured. I digress. Anyway, when my sister was about nine, her class was studying ancient Egypt. She BEGGED my mother to let her take the ring. No good. She then told her teacher about it and the teacher begged to borrow it. After several days, my mother relented after threatening my sister with the worst torture Egypt could ever have offered. Long story short, the ring got lost and was never seen again. (By now, whoever is still reading this is expecting something good, right?) So, back to the playground. I was fully expecting to dig up somebody ELSE's ancient, solid-gold artifact. At the park, I took a liesurely walk through the sand, swinging slowly and levelly (is that a word?) Nothing. I figured I wasn't the first one there. After about 45 minutes of fruitless sweating (yeah, this is Phoenix!) and swinging, I headed for the car. The ACE scared the #$@& out of me when it went off, as I had forgotten to shut it down. I figured then that I'd stepped in front of the coil with my boot. Nope, it was a legitimate signal alright. This being only my third outing with a MD, it took me a while to pinpoint the location. This consisted mostly of digging and then going through the excavated sand, repeat, repeat, repeat ... Finally, my treasure! An honest to goodness 1993 U.S. mint 1-cent piece with a picture of Abraham Lincoln on the front. Condition wasn't all that great, but it was shiny. I hope whatever kid lost that didn't fall under a wrath like my sister!

Upvote 0
Hey, that was a really enjoyable story... and congrats on the "one cent piece"... everyone's gotta start somewhere - and you're on your way, Yurt_boy! I think you'd better frame that one because it won't be long until you're like the rest of us with a container full of clad (and a box full of "whatzits") and your special first find will get lost in the pile!
Ruth

Great story,and congrats on your find!HH

Great story Yurt boy, I haven't been to a site yet that left me penniless I always seem to find some clad. Keep on a diggin and good luck on your next hunt it can only get better. :D 8)
Mchamby

WTG, I like pennies as much as I do PT's and the word is level (no ly).

Keep @ it and HH!!

Congrats on your first coin ! Enjoyed the story. Good Luck in the future !

Huntin' 59er

Congratulations, Yurt-boy

You are one coin ahead of me. I have yet to dig up a coin, But then, I don't get out very much.

WTG. Keep on looking and posting. Good luck and HH.

GabbyGEP(Gaylord)

Yurt Boy, You're giving Jimmileo a run for his money with stories like that.

Congratulations on the Lincoln type, memorial reverse, small cent. Though they sound quite rare, I think you'll be finding many more.

Why did you have to go out at 2:30 am ?
Was you following in your Great Grandfather's foot steps and becoming involved in some "amateur archaeology of questionable legality."?
J/K The story about the ring was interesting.

Great story,your first is always the best ;) .Keep it up,i'm sure there'll be many more to come.BTW- I like your username.Yurts are cool :)!

Thanks to all! Someone asked why 2:30. When I retired from policework, I started a new career as a "private eye." I had images of "Magnum PI" in my head, but no one bothered to tell me the license didn't come with a good tan, a Ferrari and a house on "The Big Island." Anyway, one of the classiest, sexiest, envy-inducing parts of PI work (or law enforcement, for that matter - back me up here, Jimmileo) is digging through people's trash for evidence. 2:30's about the right time for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back