First Civil War Finds!

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got into detecting about two months ago. I got into it specifically in hopes of digging some Civil War material one day, but have had fun digging up a little bit of everything.

About a week ago, I landed my first permission property which I knew from maps had seen some action in the Civil War. Hit the property early this morning and walked out with my first two Civil War relics! Bagged two bullets for my troubles... huge rush.

The two appear to be different types. The first (the whiter of the two) looks to be clean all the way around (though it looks as though it might've passed through something), while the second looks like it almost has seems running perpendicular to the rings on two sides... any info is appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20181004_0001a.jpg
    20181004_0001a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • ABC_9686-2.jpg
    ABC_9686-2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20181004_0002a.jpg
    20181004_0002a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • ABC_9689-4.jpg
    ABC_9689-4.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 21
Can't help on the lead, but congrats on your 1st CW find :occasion14:

3 ringer nice relic

I just got into detecting about two months ago. I got into it specifically in hopes of digging some Civil War material one day, but have had fun digging up a little bit of everything.

About a week ago, I landed my first permission property which I knew from maps had seen some action in the Civil War. Hit the property early this morning and walked out with my first two Civil War relics! Bagged two bullets for my troubles... huge rush.

The two appear to be different types. The first (the whiter of the two) looks to be clean all the way around (though it looks as though it might've passed through something), while the second looks like it almost has seems running perpendicular to the rings on two sides... any info is appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Very Nice
IMO The top one is fired & the bottom one is Dropped ----Near a Fire or was crudely cast.

Congratz on you first 2 scores/ saves.

Oh the lines on the 2 ed are from casting or Manufacture. :headbang:

Last edited:
Very Nice
IMO The top one is fired & the bottom one is Dropped ----Near a Fire or was crudely cast.

Congratz on you first 2 scores/ saves.

Oh the lines on the 2 ed are from casting or Manufacture. :headbang:

Appreciate the info.!

Great job HI Mc D, Congrats!
Good to see you finally got out of the car parts business! LOL
You're in the right place to hunt for civil war relics Winchester, Va changed hands more than 70 times and there are some others with similar histories.
Good luck and keep swingin!

Nice finds.

Great job HI Mc D, Congrats!
Good to see you finally got out of the car parts business! LOL
You're in the right place to hunt for civil war relics Winchester, Va changed hands more than 70 times and there are some others with similar histories.
Good luck and keep swingin!

Ha! Me too man, me too.

These were actually dug in Hanover which saw it's fair share of action as well, as I'm guessing you're aware.

Where in the valley are you?

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:
I'm from New England and get Rev war stuff and older into the 1600s - lots of musketballs
I was stoked the first time I got my first CW bullets down your way - some guys find tons of them
down south
but not us up here so it was cool for me
gonna PM you some research info that if you put some time in - may pay off for you

Congrats on the lead. The obsession begins!

Way ta go Hi. Nice finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Congrats on the Civil War bullets. Looks like the research and landing the permission paid off for you. SD

In a little place called Reliance, midway between Winchester, Front Royal And Strasburg. Battle central, and very near battlefields of Kernstown, Front Royal, Cedar Creek and a hundred smaller skirmishes in between. A place Custer was afraid to come into, hence our gristmill survived to grind grain for the horses and liquor for the troops. Three miles from the river where you could hunt native American stuff for hours before the subdividors came. Now the river's polluted with poultry waste, the land no longer gets plowed the battlefields are covered with subdivisions and historians are a damn nuisance to progress. A bitter pill for a son of the 33rd Virginia infantry.

Congratualtions! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back