First Civil War Buckle! Need Restoration Connection!

Lutrell

Greenie
Jan 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After 5 years of searching I have finally found a U.S. Plate. It is in two pieces and is one of the ugliest buckles I've ever seen, but I'm thrilled to have it.

I remember reading a few threads about miracle-working restoration experts. If you know of somebody that can do something with this please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 4
That is one heck of a find and congrats!!!!

Congratulations! I'd be pretty happy too. Hope you can find someone to restore it for you.

Thanks for Roland's number. I just called him and will be sending him pictures in a few minutes.

I just checked out Roland's work at "Hallowed Ground Restorations". That guy has some amazing skills, thanks again for the lead.

Why destroying historical evidence on such a piece?

First of all, every one knows how such pieces look in perfect condition and a complete restoration is only neded for someone who may want to sell it as a "perfect" piece (and cheat inexperienced collectors)...

This piece looks like the damage doesn´t happen while it was in the soil. It looks more like destroyed in a battle and thats it´s history.

-
Cleaning and preservation is ok but anything else is forgery!
A restoration on such bent bronze pieces can only be done if you heat the bronze wich kill´s the original patination! I f someone try to do it without heat, it will brake or get massive cracks along the bent parts wich has also be covert with resign and a fake patina!
You can better safe your money and buy a replic because what you wil lget back is nothing better than a replica!

Think about!

Tom

Think about it being the first one you ever found and how you have searched and searched for one and finally found one. In crappy shape as it is I would want it to look better than that too. There is no way that US plate can be restored to the point that it could be sold as not having had damage. I do not know Lutrell but I am tickled pink for him and that he is getting it somewhat put back together. I bet it winds up the center piece in a frame of his that he can show his family and friends. How about you "thinking about that!!!" Great find, Lutrell...d2

After 5 years of searching I have finally found a U.S. Plate. It is in two pieces and is one of the ugliest buckles I've ever seen, but I'm thrilled to have it.

I remember reading a few threads about miracle-working restoration experts. If you know of somebody that can do something with this please let me know.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your first plate. I truly know how you feel recovering it.
I have used Roland In the past. He did great work on my piece. Can't wait to see the after photo.
Jpro

Robert McDaniel in Alabama does fantastic work. He was very ill for a while, but I don't know what his status is now. Maybe Quindy (VOL1266-X) can fill us in on that.

Here is a buckle he did for me a while back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.44.41 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.44.41 AM.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.45.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.45.12 AM.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Leonard Short did some amazing work on a George Washington Inaugural Button for me last year.

Yes..saw that repaired button Leonard did for you. Amazing.
He has a plate from me currently getting touched up.
So now I've had work done by both short and frodigh and both are excellent.
Have not had McDaniel work on anything as of yet.

Great find guy... Keeps my hope alive for finding one. Yesterday afternoon I'm at the local gas station talking to my cave exploring buddy Jordon. In walks this young man 18-21. Jordon tells him to go get what he found yesterday. The guy goes to is truck and unwraps an OLD belt buckle in amazing shape. Still had some mud, clay and dirt on it front of it. It has 3 large letters across it and nothing is missing. I don't remember if it said USA or had a C with a couple other letters. But it sure was in "great shape". Said he just got a used MD and was using it at an old home around here.... Go figure. Asked him to join Tnet to show it off... said he might????

Cool find. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back