First Buffalo!

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Hi All,
Well had to work today till 3:00 but me and knorrski went riding around for awhile and ended up in a little town that didn't have a park but had a elementary school so we decided to hit it for an hour and we did pretty well.Being short on time we hit the playground area first and found about 20 coins including 4 quarters.Knorrski ventured out to a pavillion area that had a large field and some obstacle equipment set up and she started finding some coins there also.I joined her there and after a few minutes I got a nice single 5 in.deep.It was only a 1967 penny but i felt good it being that deep and obviously had been there a while.I found a quarter or 2 then got a 14-16 reading at about 2 in.deep near a gravel path and lo and behold I had my first buffalo nickle!My headphones came off and went to show knorrski.Unfortunately the date is worn off but I didn't care.Overall we found 38 coins over the area in about an hour to hour and a half.We well do a better search of the area at a later date.

peace,bigrig

Attachments

• buff front.jpg
    buff front.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 241
  • buff back.jpg
    buff back.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Nice..... it pays to take an hour or so to search.
SLAPPAV

Awesome find Bigrig!

If you really want to know the date there is an acid you can get & put just a drop where the date should be and let it sit for a minute and rinse it off and you might see the date. I think it's called Nic-a-date?

Nice Buffalo Bigrig! Too bad about the date, but thats common with Buffalos. If I ever find old datless coins like that, I'm gonna turn them into necklace pendants. Anything dated goes into my coin collection, or clad into my change bin, which means BEER money bin, lol! Good going, you and Knorrski keep diggin em up!! HH!

kool buff. get ne of the new one s yet im still looking

Good going Bigrig. I know the fealing. The nickles always take a beating here also. But atleast you got it and recovered it from more years of corrosion. Check that area over again. May have been coin shooted in the past. But They may have left old nickles and gold behind.

Good luck man Jer

Congrats on another first!!! I think there are several types of Buffalo's, so you still have some more first to look forward to.
I don't think too many of them in that style still have a date on them, as the date what stamped onto a high part of the coin and was one of the first things to be worn off... I found one yesterday, and you couldn't tell it apart from the one you have there...
Good luck on the next one...

It amazes me the dates wear off and yet the rest of the coin looks fairy good. Congratulations though. I cant believe thats your first Buffalo . I thought with the amount of coin you find it would have happened long ago. HH

Nice buffalo bigrig!!! Congrats!

One of my suppliers carries the Nic-o line of products and I've considered carrying them. But I don't really want t get into the coin supply business. I purchased my on bottla fo Nic-o-date online from a coin suply dealer (can't remember, but when I find out I'll let you know). Anyway, it does indeed lift the date right up, but it also leaves a real nice clean spot where you placed the drop. I should try the Nic-O-Lene with the Nic-O-Brush and see if I can get the rest of the nickle clean as well!!

Way to go buddy!

WAY TO GO BIGRIG!! NICE COIN, I FOUND MY FIRST ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO WHERE THEY WERE KNOCKING DOWN AN OLD HOUSE IN MY AREA. KEEP ON DIGGIN, THE ROOSTER

Hey bigrig nice find!!!
I generally use the tomato catsup trick to clean my nickels. All you gotta do is get one of those packets of ketchup and cut the top off. Slip a nickel or two in the packet and then fold the end over and let it sit for about 2 days. Here is a before and after shot of a buff I did it to (this was only after 1 day of soaking. It looks a lot better after 2 days)

Attachments

• 2ndbuffalo.jpg
    2ndbuffalo.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 157
  • cleanbuff2.jpg
    cleanbuff2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 157

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back