First beach hunt next weekend

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I’m more of a woods, field relic hunter. Going on a family Vacation with the in-laws. I’m taking my machine and hitting the beach. Going to a less commercialized beach in NC. Any tips or advice for someone doing their first beach detecting? I figure most of it is the same and common sense but wanted to ask. Thanks!

Upvote 6
Prepare for massive amounts of discarded foil juice box tops, ancient can opening devices known as pull tabs, unforeseen masses of bottle caps, various and sundry unidentifiable pieces of shredded aluminum, as well as the leftover pieces of very sharp glass, all left from the species known as inconsiderate beach going asshole!

Have a good sand scoop and scoop everything that isn't a dead iron sound. Gold can read virtually anywhere on the non-ferrous I.D. scale. Wear footwear, carry water. Hopefully, you'll be using a simultaneous multifrequency machine or you'll probably want to stay in the dry sand. Single freqs don't like the wet and water at a salt water beach.,

Dig everything, it’s easy and you can find jewelry

What machine will you be using? And where do you plan to hunt, wet..dry..in the surf ?

Fisher 75 and probably dry sand
I would go with Peyton Manning's answer, dig all until you get a feel for the targets your digging ID's.

If you have a water machine is the only way I would go near this area....In the wet and surf the waves classifies most of the targets by their weight, shape, and sizes. So try and find the lane where the heavier targets are, after a few hundred feet you should be able to see a pattern behind ..where you have dug if the surf has not wiped it. Sometime if you see rocks or shells in the mix is a good sign, or low areas where the water has washed out or cut small run off's in the sand.

Good luck!

Fisher 75 and probably dry sand
Yeah, unfortunately, not a great machine for the wet. You'd have to turn it way down which will kill the depth. It will work fine in the dry though. If you have a coil option, use the biggest one you have for coverage. Don't bother to overlap unless you get into a target rich zone. Then grid everything.

If you get a good signal over a ladies back don’t dig
Just roll her over, it’s a belly button ring

Good luck Dig everything you never know what your gonna get

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back