First Barber Coin

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Trying out my new dd1400 coil on my MXT today, I got out for about 45 min.before freezing my tail off but it was worth it.Scanning a area I have checked before I got a weak audio but strong visual reading at about 6 in. and it was a 1900 barber dime! The thing though was it was only 3 in. deep but it was on it side so I think that was why the audio was weak and the depth was off.It only grades at G-4 but grade schmade its old silver!

bigrig

Upvote 0
Excellent find! ?coins on edge do make for confused depth and sometimes pinpoint on most metal detectors. ?But that one didn't get away. ?Good hunting!

nice find cant wait till the snow is gone to get back out again

Congrats, some of those on edge coins can be tricky,All there is to do now is pray for frost heaving to move them back ;)

Great find! I hit a 1935 quarter last week that was on edge. Had trouble pin pointing it. It ended up on the side of the hole insted of the middle & I managed to put a nasty scratch on the reverse side. I've been lucky & only scratched 3 or 4 coins, but of course it just had to be silver. It was only in fair shape so no value loss. Just silver value.

Finding old silver on edge takes a good ear. Keep it up. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back