First attempt at picking costume jewelry yields sterling

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I went out to do our usual Saturday morning garage/estate sale and thrift store shopping. I tried my hand at picking jewelry in the costume jewelry pile at a small thrift store. Found 5 pieces that caught my eye, 4 were marked 925, and two of those 4 proved to be genuine. Pics below. Paid $2 for them, weight is 24 grams. We also picked some fireware carnival glass items, 5 small oil lamps, and a karaoke machine all for $19.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 105
Nice find! I always get exited when I see a nice lobster claw clasp like that one. 80% of the time it turnes out to be silver or gold so keep an eye out for those since you just started with jewelry :icon_thumright:

Cool, thanks for the intel. It is fun seeing the real deal sitting amongst a bunch of play stuff.

Nice find! I always get exited when I see a nice lobster claw clasp like that one. 80% of the time it turnes out to be silver or gold so keep an eye out for those since you just started with jewelry :icon_thumright:

I get alarmed when I see a separate 925 tag attached to a piece. That is a warning sign that it may be a Chinese fake. I hope it's the real deal. PS- What is fireware carnival glass? Do you mean Fire-king peach luster glass?

I get alarmed when I see a separate 925 tag attached to a piece. That is a warning sign that it may be a Chinese fake. I hope it's the real deal. PS- What is fireware carnival glass? Do you mean Fire-king peach luster glass?

The clasps are marked 925 also, and they both scratch test good. In the clear right?

yes I meant to say fire king, and they are the orangish color.

The clasps are marked 925 also, and they both scratch test good. In the clear right?

yes I meant to say fire king, and they are the orangish color.
Should be okay. Do a search for Peach Luster fire king, that's about as close to orange carnival glass that Fire King ever got. They do have some orange milk glass stuff from the 70's but it is really orange not just orangish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back