Firearms experts needed. Biggest Shell Casing I ever found! OH CANNONBALLGUY!

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on an old 1700s homestead that goes till today. There is a barn from the 1800s and several foundations in shambles. I never found a Shell casing that is this big and says this. HELP!

CAM_0172.JPG CAM_0173.JPG

CAM_0174.JPG

That is a 45cal m1911 surplus ammunition
LOL... no it's not. A 1911 .45 caliber is a semi auto pistol. A pistol big enough to chamber that round would be the size of a Volkswagon... It's a .50 caliber made by Winchester Repeating Arms in 1954. It's a US military cartridge used in heavy machine guns and also used in long range sniper rifles.

Upvote 0
Because you asked for me to comment:
I agree with NHBandit... it is a "necked" .50-caliber casing, made by Winchester Repeating Arms company, specifically for US Military service, which is why the casing's headstamp includes the year it was manufactured.

Upvote 0
Because you asked for me to comment:
I agree with NHBandit... it is a "necked" .50-caliber casing, made by Winchester Repeating Arms company, specifically for US Military service, which is why the casing's headstamp includes the year it was manufactured.
And why it has a crimped in primer. :thumbsup: That generally designates military use. What's interesting is WHERE you found it. Is that area know to have been used by National Guard guys playing war games ? And if so I still question the use of live rounds. That's NOT a blank.. Is there a military range nearby ? There are .50 cal BMG rifles sold these days for civilian use but that shell casing looks to have spent a bit of time in the ground. Very odd.. I once hit an area in an old NH ghost town though that was littered with .223 & .308 military blank rounds and even found a spent smoke grenade. Turns out the Guard plays war games down in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And why it has a crimped in primer. :thumbsup: That generally designates military use. What's interesting is WHERE you found it. Is that area know to have been used by National Guard guys playing war games ? And if so I still question the use of live rounds. That's NOT a blank.. Is there a military range nearby ? There are .50 cal BMG rifles sold these days for civilian use but that shell casing looks to have spent a bit of time in the ground. Very odd.. I once hit an area in an old NH ghost town though that was littered with .223 & .308 military blank rounds and even found a spent smoke grenade. Turns out the Guard plays war games down in there.

Nope, It is in Burnt Cabins, PA. A tiny Village that has History attributed to Native American Troubles, and General Forbes. The village is small but very OLD. Foundations everywhere. This was found in the woods as well as the other FULL LIVE shell I posted that I was told was an M16 Shell. No Military bases are around it as it is deep in the mountains and very small.

Upvote 0
The 30/06 shell is pretty understandable as a lot of people shoot surplus ammo (and the 30/06 has been popular for a long time now) when they can find it at a good price. The .50 BMG isn't nearly as common outside of military bases and training areas, so that's the oddball of the two finds.

FYI, the M16/AR-15/M-4 use the 5.56mm/.223 cartridge, much smaller than either of the two cases you've found so far. It's pretty common. Since you seem to be collecting a variety of ammo I'm including a pic of the various sized ammo you've found so far and some you appear likely to encounter in that area. From left to right is a 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308, 30/06, and .50 BMG.

eds-ammo1.JPG

Upvote 0
The 30/06 shell is pretty understandable as a lot of people shoot surplus ammo (and the 30/06 has been popular for a long time now) when they can find it at a good price. The .50 BMG isn't nearly as common outside of military bases and training areas, so that's the oddball of the two finds.

FYI, the M16/AR-15/M-4 use the 5.56mm/.223 cartridge, much smaller than either of the two cases you've found so far. It's pretty common. Since you seem to be collecting a variety of ammo I'm including a pic of the various sized ammo you've found so far and some you appear likely to encounter in that area. From left to right is a 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308, 30/06, and .50 BMG.

eds-ammo1.JPG

Well that .50 BMG...... I hate to see what it hit and what was left of it... I saw that and thought I might find a freakin tank nearby or a downed fighter from WW2 haha!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The "Ma Duce."
mk2.jpg
Below is from Wikipedia,

The M2 Machine Gun or Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun is a heavy machine gun designed towards the end of World War I by John Browning. It is very similar in design to Browning's earlier M1919 Browning machine gun, which was chambered for the .30-06 cartridge. The M2 uses the much larger and much more powerful .50 BMG cartridge, which was developed alongside and takes its name from the gun itself (BMG standing for Browning Machine Gun). The M2 has been referred to as "Ma Deuce", which is GI phonetic slang or "the fifty" in reference to its caliber. The design has had many specific designations; the official designation for the current infantry type is Browning Machine Gun, Cal. .50, M2, HB, Flexible. It is effective against infantry, unarmored or lightly armored vehicles and boats, light fortifications and low-flying aircraft. The M2 machine gun has been in production longer than any other machine gun.
The Browning .50 caliber machine gun has been used extensively as a vehicle weapon and for aircraft armament by the United States from the 1930s to the present. The M2 has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory except the .45 ACP model 1911 Colt pistol, also designed by John Browning.

Your empty brass could have been brought home as a souvenir from a certain battle, or just a souvenir. When aircraft were armed with .50's, and they were practicing with live fire, the empty brass was dropped overboard as each round fired. I remember as a kid we were in a location that WWII aircraft had used as a practice firing range, and us kids picked all sorts of empty .50 cal brass and took it home. It's got to be lost in peoples yards in San Luis Obispo, Calif. and if any is found, I'm sure it's a head scratcher for them also. Now days there are also rifles designed to fire the .50 BMG, and trained snipers have been known to put the lights out on bad guys out to a mile. I know a guy with one of those rifles, and it's a good thing he's well to do. A few years ago it was $5 per shot, and I'm sure it's more than that now.

Upvote 0
Happiness in Vietnam was driving down the road and seeing a South Korean deuce and a half with quad 50's mounted on the bed doing road security :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that .50 BMG...... I hate to see what it hit and what was left of it... I saw that and thought I might find a freakin tank nearby or a downed fighter from WW2 haha!

If you come across a P-38, let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you cart it out of the woods and properly dispose of it for you. ;)

Upvote 0
I found a .50 cal very awesome to open that plug and see a .50 cool find

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back