Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really *much* harder listening very, very closely to one's detector. I've spoiled myself by doing "high squeak" walks for so long!

It's also a * LOT* more work as well!! Basically digging just about every signal causes a whole lot of digging and trash!! πŸ˜“

Still...it is the best way to find very deeply AND....very, very tiny targets!!!

Last time I got two very tiny chain necklaces. This time I also scored a tiny silver necklace. Was the barest of blips. More like a change in pitch than a blip. But, I dug anyway as this was the finetooth comb method. I have been over and over this same area, but was just ignoring, (for want of time), the more iffy signals.

I used to be really good at finding the difficult stuff. I just got old (sic lazy), and started doing high squeaks. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Anyhoo, I was out for about 3 hours today, dug a ton of trash. But still managed some interesting finds. (That's what keeps me coming back).

IMG_20240206_211548.jpg

Can you imagine!!!??? I'm listening just as closely as I possibly can, the very faint, very small, very deep signals? And then.....BOOM!!....
This HUMONGOUS nail blasts me!?! πŸ€ͺ

Well, after I picked me up off the ground again, I continued!

IMG_20240206_185007.jpg

I mean......this target is only half a centimeter long!!! That....was the scale I was listening for today! (No clue what it is either πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ)

IMG_20240206_182858.jpg

I find a LOT of big iron washers like the one on top. But the off center hole is strange on the bottom one.

IMG_20240206_182848.jpg

The other side's no help. Maybe a bit of electrolysis?

IMG_20240206_182912.jpg

The necklace was a neat, tiny little find and the last of the day. Silver. So, I went out happy. 😊

Thanks for being patient and for peeking!

Upvote 16
Ya you got down to skinny on the chain for sure.

Your recovered nail might work as a potato nail.
Congrats on the getting out.
And on switching it up a little.

Have you tried "wiggling" the coil on iffys?
Sometimes it almost confirms a target is iffy. l.o.l..

I'm right there with you on the getting old part. :laughing7:
It's still a good day when we can get out and detect anywhere.
Congrats on your recoveries.
MM

Ya you got down to skinny on the chain for sure.

Your recovered nail might work as a potato nail.
Congrats on the getting out.
And on switching it up a little.

Have you tried "wiggling" the coil on iffys?
Sometimes it almost confirms a target is iffy. l.o.l..
Oh my, in all my years of doing this? It might be easier figuring what I haven't tried yet. But in this "finetooth comb" method of mine almost no signal is ignored. Hence the iron washer. 😏

For those who use the AT-MAX, anybody ever notice the false reading of what I call the "raise up" scenario?

I've found that if the coil picks up an iron signal at exactly the time when the coil is lifting away from the ground, it tends to give a positive signal. Such as, right at the very end of a swing and starting back the other way?

Oh my, in all my years of doing this? It might be easier figuring what I haven't tried yet. But in this "finetooth comb" method of mine almost no signal is ignored. Hence the iron washer. 😏

For those who use the AT-MAX, anybody ever notice the false reading of what I call the "raise up" scenario?

I've found that if the coil picks up an iron signal at exactly the time when the coil is lifting away from the ground, it tends to give a positive signal. Such as, right at the very end of a swing and starting back the other way?
It's predecessor Ace 350 does something kinda similar with my handling it , sometimes. Likely more the handler than the unit .
When iron is nulled it wants to announce iron is there but still being nulled. A low tone then icon stays on till coil isn't on iron. If I'm recalling it correctly. There is a delay before it "clears".
I try to keep coil level so the raise isn't great off to the sides.
And often try to advance forward in a pushing serpentine pattern more than weed whacking.

I've had that with every detector I've ever used. I figure it's because of the coil reversing direction. It makes the thing in the ground look "round". I mean, imagine you had a pencil sticking down through the middle of the coil, drawing a line on the ground. At the end of the swing, you're drawing a small circle or hook when you reverse direction.. That gives the "trace" of the iron under the coil a round-ish shape and more time under the coil, so the signal gets confused. At least that's my theory -- I really have no idea. 8-)

It's really *much* harder listening very, very closely to one's detector. I've spoiled myself by doing "high squeak" walks for so long!

It's also a * LOT* more work as well!! Basically digging just about every signal causes a whole lot of digging and trash!! πŸ˜“

Still...it is the best way to find very deeply AND....very, very tiny targets!!!

Last time I got two very tiny chain necklaces. This time I also scored a tiny silver necklace. Was the barest of blips. More like a change in pitch than a blip. But, I dug anyway as this was the finetooth comb method. I have been over and over this same area, but was just ignoring, (for want of time), the more iffy signals.

I used to be really good at finding the difficult stuff. I just got old (sic lazy), and started doing high squeaks. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Anyhoo, I was out for about 3 hours today, dug a ton of trash. But still managed some interesting finds. (That's what keeps me coming back).

View attachment 2129919
Can you imagine!!!??? I'm listening just as closely as I possibly can, the very faint, very small, very deep signals? And then.....BOOM!!....
This HUMONGOUS nail blasts me!?! πŸ€ͺ

Well, after I picked me up off the ground again, I continued!

View attachment 2129920
I mean......this target is only half a centimeter long!!! That....was the scale I was listening for today! (No clue what it is either πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ)

View attachment 2129921
I find a LOT of big iron washers like the one on top. But the off center hole is strange on the bottom one.

View attachment 2129922
The other side's no help. Maybe a bit of electrolysis?

View attachment 2129929
The necklace was a neat, tiny little find and the last of the day. Silver. So, I went out happy. 😊

Thanks for being patient and for peeking!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back