Finds from a secret location

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I rarely take the time to post pictures of all the loot taken from our outings but I get that folks here like it so here's today's little haul. These are from a dumping location I'm still working on finding hard date parameters for. I believe it was in use from at least 1930s onto 1960s based on what I know about the location and dates on specific finds. The reality is that the place may have a history running back to the late 1800s but we're still doing ongoing investigating at the site. It appears that only we two know of the place and that's probably how it will stay. My partner found a merc in really good condition, 1943 W. I was so jealous but then I found a neat coin yesterday so no complaints lol. Yes, those are binoculars in that photo, very old ass binoculars. The pizza tray it's all being displayed on was found metal detecting for the record, different location but it's a cool touch. I've yet to process this specific set of finds, things are a bit back logged in that department, we find a lot of stuff on an almost weekly basis so it's hard to keep up lol. We call this location the "Falstaff clearing" because apparently someone drank the hell outta that beer back in the 60s based on the huge numbers of Falstaff bottles found there. Yes, those are old army men there, yet another ink pot, buttons, bottles, a monopoly house, what have you....
Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_203908360~2.jpg
    IMG_20240223_203908360~2.jpg
    1,001 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20240223_203828309.jpg
    IMG_20240223_203828309.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20240223_202447054~2.jpg
    IMG_20240223_202447054~2.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20240223_203118877.jpg
    IMG_20240223_203118877.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20240223_171904389.jpg
    IMG_20240223_171904389.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 18
Congrats of some good fun!
Btw, the "W" on the obverse of the dime is for the designer Adolph A. Weinman.
The mintmark is on the reverse.
Oh that's cool. Yeah, I'm no numismatist, I go for relics moreso but cool coins in decent shape are not only fun to find but can help to date a given spot. A big part of what I get into is finding the dates in given locations that are otherwise unknown, it's hot unraveling these mysteries. Finding the merc helped to confirm at least part of the timeline for this place we found. Likewise we've found some materials that directly told us who was probably dumping there. It's archaeological fun

They were a nostalgic reminder of my childhood, my partner found them and I told her to throw them in the recovery bag. Some things aren't of any deep value but they're kinda cool anyway.
I pin a cut pant leg on one leg.
If I didn't have horse blanket pins then diaper pins would be a second choice.
Maybe I should sew more . L.o.l..

A first aid kit and or sewing repair kit can use a couple stout pins too.

This is our third venture to this specific spot, we've actually pulled a fair but out of there but there's a TON still buried in the ground we've yet to find. We're gonna get ourselves some sifters, metal detecting at these places we go to has potential to find good stuff but the sheer volume of metal in the ground is overwhelming, I think a sifter will serve better. Today we're off to one of the most legendary bottle dumps in the state, there will probably be more photos in the next day or two for y'all!

I rarely take the time to post pictures of all the loot taken from our outings but I get that folks here like it so here's today's little haul. These are from a dumping location I'm still working on finding hard date parameters for. I believe it was in use from at least 1930s onto 1960s based on what I know about the location and dates on specific finds. The reality is that the place may have a history running back to the late 1800s but we're still doing ongoing investigating at the site. It appears that only we two know of the place and that's probably how it will stay. My partner found a merc in really good condition, 1943 W. I was so jealous but then I found a neat coin yesterday so no complaints lol. Yes, those are binoculars in that photo, very old ass binoculars. The pizza tray it's all being displayed on was found metal detecting for the record, different location but it's a cool touch. I've yet to process this specific set of finds, things are a bit back logged in that department, we find a lot of stuff on an almost weekly basis so it's hard to keep up lol. We call this location the "Falstaff clearing" because apparently someone drank the hell outta that beer back in the 60s based on the huge numbers of Falstaff bottles found there. Yes, those are old army men there, yet another ink pot, buttons, bottles, a monopoly house, what have you....
Enjoy the pics
Pretty cool!! Good luck

Enjoy the pics
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Enjoy the pics
Love the finds!!! Check out my secret location Beach finds that I just posted. Happy hunting!

M&M, where did you say this spot was? Lol Congrat's on some nice Saves. It is cool to have a special spot just for yourselves. Continued Success to you and your hunting partner, and we look forward to future posts of some great Saves and Finds. Well Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back