Finds from 2 hunts and a whatzit..

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First pics are from yesterday. I hunted the fringe of a 15th Corps campsite. The weather was great. I don't know what the large brass object is though it has been mentioned as maybe a brass bed post top or fence top. Next pic is from today's hunt at another site. The wind was fierce and extremely cold! I am wind burned! A soldier obviously dumped his wet cartridges in one spot as all of the minies and the button looking thing were found in a 20 foot circle with nothing else to be found anywhere. Thanks for looking and HH!
Mike

Attachments

• Whatzit and finds 002 (Medium).jpg
    Whatzit and finds 002 (Medium).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Whatzit and finds 007 (Medium).jpg
    Whatzit and finds 007 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Uncle Dan\'s bullets 003 (Medium).jpg
    Uncle Dan\'s bullets 003 (Medium).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
:icon_pirat: OH my goodness! Have you cleaned that button yet? :o All those finds are super, Mike! :o

Nana :)

Looks like a fence post top to me, but I suppose it could also be a bed post top.

Hard to tell what the first pic is Mike,kinda wanna say a fence post topper too!!....CW wise you had a great day my friend.I can't believe how many WCleaner's you came out with.....and a post to another one at the end of the row :thumbsup: More item's to list but it all look's good.Beautiful Dig's.......

Congrats!!!! :thumbsup:
Very nice CW cleaner bullets. :thumbsup:
Great looking batch of relics :thumbsup:
ON the what is---I would also say fence topper

fortbball9

Great CW digs!!!!...Could that be an axle cap....allows quick access to grease bearings?....just a thought...

I'm not sure if this is your whatizit or not....looks like it could be!!....copper cap maybe to this landmine?? NEAT! This is an original Confederate landmine fuse from the Civil War. This is the style illustrated on page #125 of the fuse book by Chuck Jones. This is the pattern that was designed by Brigadier General Gabriel Rains of North Carolina. He had developed this from his earlier days when he first used landmines against the Seminole Indians in the war of 1840. This system was one of the most effective of the Civil War. The Union officer’s often used them back against the Confederates by forcing Southern soldiers to walk ahead of the Union soldiers in areas where the mines were known to be planted. Here we have the large hex head body fo the fuse as well as the copper safely cap. The cap still unscrews from the body section. They are both in fine condition as you can see in the pictures. THIS PIECE WAS STOLEN OFF OF MY TABLE AT THE CIVIL WAR SHOW IN RICHMOND VIRGINIA IN AUGUST 2008. I WILL PAY A $1500 CASH REWARD FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO THE PROSECUSTION OF THE PERSON OR PERSONS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS THEFT. REMMEMBER IF THESE SPINELESS LOWLIFES WILL STEAL FROM ONE OF US THEY WOULD STEAL FROM ANY OF US.

Attachments

• %7BC4985ACC-D90E-4381-9651-BDA54F72B701%7D_DSC09792.jpg
    %7BC4985ACC-D90E-4381-9651-BDA54F72B701%7D_DSC09792.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 221
  • %7B1C2CFCD3-7090-4462-B248-5CE2813960BE%7D_DSC09795.jpg
    %7B1C2CFCD3-7090-4462-B248-5CE2813960BE%7D_DSC09795.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 212
Hey George, how large is your land mine cap? It sure resembles my whatzit. Mine does not have threads inside the cap though. BTW... I'm related to the Rains! Thanks for the pic and HH!
Mike

brnn53 said:
Hey George, how large is your land mine cap? It sure resembles my whatzit. Mine does not have threads inside the cap though. BTW... I'm related to the Rains! Thanks for the pic and HH!
Mike
The article does not give the size...Go to Shilohrelics.com...click Artillery...click Artillery Implements...It's the 1st item on the page....you can enlarge as to get a better idea....The one in the article has threads!?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back