Finally 👍🏼🔪

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The crops are finally out in one of my fields. No tilling has been done in years. I found a few large rocks 2 of which are quite drawn to a magnet. Then I found a “debris field” area of what I’m calling debitage.
I found a lot of similar last year in same location. That’s why I went there today. Eventually, I came upon this guy (next 2 photos). I was pretty pumped. This is my first good find of the year. It appears to have a pink cast to the color. Im calling it a blade.
Any info on the type, period, flint(?) etc greatly appreciated. It still has a decent edge for being around a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2123.jpeg
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Upvote 17
The crops are finally out in one of my fields. No tilling has been done in years. I found a few large rocks 2 of which are quite drawn to a magnet. Then I found a “debris field” area of what I’m calling debitage.
I found a lot of similar last year in same location. That’s why I went there today. Eventually, I came upon this guy (next 2 photos). I was pretty pumped. This is my first good find of the year. It appears to have a pink cast to the color. Im calling it a blade.
Any info on the type, period, flint(?) etc greatly appreciated. It still has a decent edge for being around a long time.
Amazing

You broke the ice this time. Burlington flint. Very common all along Mississippi River from IA to So MO.
It looks to me like a knife that started out bigger and was resharpened many times. Just a guess. That’s a spot you need to keep checking. Surely more stuff there.
IMG_2351.jpeg

Last edited:
You broke the ice this time. Burlington flint. Very common all along Mississippi River from IA to So MO.
It looks to me like a knife that started out bigger and was resharpened many times. Just a guess. That’s a spot you need to keep checking. Surely more stuff there.View attachment 2108291
Thanks TP! I wasn’t sure, due to the weird base. I hadn’t considered a reworked broken blade. 👍🏼

Cool find BF!!

Awesome find. My Mom used to take us out as kids to an old Indian campground that was from our tribe and my Brother found all the arrowheads, I did find a broken one, but mostly we found tons of pottery that my Mom would make into table tops covered in resin. I know there is still pottery there in small amounts but now there are a lot of broken bottles and it has been trashed because it is right next to 2 roads.The next time I am down that way I think I'll walk the old creekbed and see if there are any goodies to be found in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back