Finally silver! (Non dug)... But not mine to keep...

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Actually this should go under "The day before yesterday's finds".
Helped a friend doing a cleanout of the cellar/workshop at his grandparents' house that he's now renovating to live in.
A lot of junk was in there, hadn;t been cleaned-up for at least 30 yrs and for more then 70 yrs stuff and dust was accumulating in there.
We completely demolished the tiny workshop's working bench and shelves, sorted out all old rusty tools and spare parts (2 large bags of scrap metal of all sorts is going to get recycled except for some memorabilia I got as "payment" for my help and that will go into my personal vintage tool collection) and got rid of all rotted wooden planks and asbestos plates.

While ripping down the old shelves I picked up two objects, a key-fob type thing and a coined that was nailed onto the side board. Both black and green from dirt, dust and insect droppings and thought to check them out back home.
After I got home with a small crate full of "fresh" old junk I picked up the fob thing and on the backside a saw a silvery shimmer. I decided to put it over the night into a special silverware/jewelry cleaning solution I use. I threw in the coin as well, had a suspicion for that one, too.
Due to all my excitement I sadly forgot to take any "before" pictures to compare with the final result that looks great I think.
After rinsing off the solution and a lot of toothbrush brushing (with extra whitening toothpaste with microparticles) I saw what I had found: a fantastic silver key fob, a replica of an Alexander the Great coin (no markings on it but even the small chain is solid siver, final link is cut through) and a (what I thought at that time*) silver 1926 (1930 special edition marked "B") One Drachma coin with godess Minerva's head on one side!!
I decided I had to return these to their rightfull owner, my dear friend and best man that is.
Maybe the coin had some special significance for his grandfather, a good-luck charm, maybe his first money earned while settling down in Greeceafter after fleeing his Asia minor homeland during the Turkish pogroms against the Greeks and other minorities... Who knows, my friend doesn't but he was really happy to get these thing handed over by me.
With my TNet inspired methodology I made sure everything, every old piece of furniture, box, crate, container, picture frame, book was thoroughly inspected, checked and taken appart before getting tossed out, so we found some other nice old things, too, no hidden gold though...

coins2.jpg

coins1.jpg

I kept the brass cross, aliminum cuff link and 10 Lepta coin and the nice old needle case with acorn shaped screw-on top (with some glass head hatpins still inside) also shown in the pics and the old rusty tools (they have a lot of work to get to be display pieces...).

tools.jpg

*Doing some research on the inernet I found out the one Drachma coin is not really silver but a copper/nickel alloy... too bad, would be a sweet find. But I learned that my silverware cleaning solution works on nickel coins, too :tongue3: All in all a nice weekend hunt!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Super finds! Your excellent cleaning results show really well on these items. I agree that some had special meaning to the grandfather. I think you should send the saw & teapot to me -- why? Because I like them, ha-ha! Andi

cool stuff...anything really weird down there...sometimes the best things in a workshop are the really old cans holding all the nails......assuming they aren't just coffee cans with plastic lids.....

Thanks guys. And Pete you are right, I went through the contains of all cans and small boxes (a lot of them wooden handmade) one by one, one never knows what may had been hidden or "dropped" in them :-)

HH

good job - junk drawers are good too - I find a lot of silver in house clean-out dumpsters -because people are in a rush...
and of course..the cans themselves can be good.. the most expensive thing I ever sold was a 1950s bock beer can...that I got at a tag sale for a dollar - full of nails-- made well over a grand on that one- that is the exception rather than the rule... but with everything being plastic nowadays- you can sell just about any thing that came in a metal can - and even some of the old glass jars ..if they still have labels on them (found an old 1960s Tang jar - nails again..I always poke around the garage at tag sales - got 30 or 35 dollars for that....)...money to be made anywhere....just gotta know how to look(!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back