Finally NO RAIN!!! Got out for an hour!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rain finally stopped after 8 days!!! I ran right out to an older (1930s) schoolyard and hit the ballfield. The ACE250 was SINGING with the ground as soaked as it is. Found one kids ring, which I gave to my daughter, one 1951 wheatie, and what may be my first Indian Head cent - WOO HOO!!! It's so crusty I can't make it out for sure, but it's not a Lincoln, and I think I can make out parts of the wreath, and part of the date (18_8). It's soaking now, and I should be able to make out more detail in a few days. Oh. and took the usual clad as well! Thanks for looking, and HH!

Attachments

• 10-15-05 Finds 1.JPG
    10-15-05 Finds 1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 10-15-05 Finds 2.JPG
    10-15-05 Finds 2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
TK,

sounds like you had a good day, way to go; do take care in cleaning up that Indian.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

I know you're glad that rain is gone! And look at what you found!!! :o

Great finds Kidd!

Nana ;)

That big picture of a penny is a wheat cent if you couldn't identify it.. Excellent! Monty

Monty, that picture is actually one picture of 2 different coins. The wheatie on the right is a 1951 P, and the other coin is my maybe IH. Like I said, it's in rough shape, but I think it's and IH. It is NOT a wheatie, but I'm not ruling out a foreign coin at this point. I will post a pic when, and if it becomes identifyable.

Nice Finds!!
I'd get out, but still vacuuming my basement from the rain :(

Cool finds!! Is that a mutant green pulltab :o Just curious, how are you gonna clean this one? I bet some olive oil would make the details show past the patina.

I'd get out, but still vacuuming my basement from the rain

Make sure its a Wet/Dry vac, i made the mistake of using a central vac system to vacume water :P :D

Jake, yes that is an alien pulltab, but it actually looks more blueish to the eye. I think the green showed up in the pic due to poor lighting on my pics! As for the mystery IH, I clean all my dug wheaties in olive oil. First I run them under warm tap water to remove the loosest dirt, then soak them in olive oil for 2-3 days. After the first few days, I take them out once or twice a day and give them a gentle brushing with an old, soft toothbrush to help loosen up more of the corrosion, and then back in the oil. This goes on until the penny is either presentable, or I give up on it and throw it in my little pile of crappy wheaties, lol!! All but the absolute worst of them come out pretty good with time and patience.

Good finds. Just as a comparison an IH should have the exact same daimeter (19mm) as a wheatie but will weigh a little bit more than the wheatie.

IHs are tough to come by...I've only found one, but I took a friend last week (he's only been a few times) and his first target of the morning was an 1883 IH!!! go figure ??? ;D

Hope yours cleans up to be IH.

Nice haul there. I live in Upstate NY and I'm gonna try to get out tommorow as well.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Nice finds,

Sounds like a fun hunt!

Any more rain and you guys out in the N.E. will need scuba gear and water machines to go detecting!

HH

Lonewolfe

Great digs, WTG!!!
Good luck on the mystery coin being your first IH, & Happy hunting~

It's confirmed!!! The olive oil lossened up the crap overnight enough so that I can see enough details to make it out. It's an 1882 Indian Head, WOO HOO! It's a first for me in two ways: My first Indian Head, and my first 1800s detector coin find!! I'ts still in crappy condition, but we'll see what a few more weeks in the olive oil can do for that. Thanks for the replies, and HH!

WTG on the finds, stay dry !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back