Finally my first SILVER

NightHawk88

Apr 11, 2024
Scottsdale
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
I'm somewhat new to this hobby, only been detecting about 6 months, so relative green horn here but have been really been enjoying it. I had yet to dig any silver coins this whole time although I was mainly just hitting parks and my research was lacking, and by lacking I mean totally non existent. So I've really been trying to learn and improve in that area as well.

I had been using the Vanquish up till now, but finally upgraded to the Equinox 800. First signal out the car with the NOX and boom, ripped a 1934 Merc about 8 inches out the ground.

photo_2024-08-17_19-46-56.jpg

I think I got somewhat lucky as it was a really trashy area and was fortunate to happen to swing over it.

On that note if anybody has any tips on finding / hearing the deeper signals with the NOX or any settings I should try I'd be happy to hear them.

I know the settings are going to be "it depends" etc etc.... I was just running the factory settings Park 1 out the box, planned on really learning that first and then refining my settings if I need to later but I'd be happy to hear any that people use or what I should be thinking about in general with that.

Anyways I'm happy for now but obv itching for more. This came at a good time as I was really starting to get somewhat disheartened.

Don't get discouraged. The stuff is out there, in the ground, waiting to be found.

Go dig it.

Upvote 51
I'm somewhat new to this hobby, only been detecting about 6 months, so relative green horn here but have been really been enjoying it. I had yet to dig any silver coins this whole time although I was mainly just hitting parks and my research was lacking, and by lacking I mean totally non existent. So I've really been trying to learn and improve in that area as well.

I had been using the Vanquish up till now, but finally upgraded to the Equinox 800. First signal out the car with the NOX and boom, ripped a 1934 Merc about 8 inches out the ground.

View attachment 2164942

I think I got somewhat lucky as it was a really trashy area and was fortunate to happen to swing over it.

On that note if anybody has any tips on finding / hearing the deeper signals with the NOX or any settings I should try I'd be happy to hear them.

I know the settings are going to be "it depends" etc etc.... I was just running the factory settings Park 1 out the box, planned on really learning that first and then refining my settings if I need to later but I'd be happy to hear any that people use or what I should be thinking about in general with that.

Anyways I'm happy for now but obv itching for more. This came at a good time as I was really starting to get somewhat disheartened.

Don't get discouraged. The stuff is out there, in the ground, waiting to be found.

Go dig it.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

A big congrats on your first Silver coin ! :icon_thumright:

After spending several hundred hours in the field with your machine you'll start getting dialed in.
This hobby comes with a never ending learning curve and requires a lot of patience.
Everyone goes through dry spells - but the longer your in this hobby the better it gets !
Good Hunting !

Congrats! I'm just a couple/few months ahead of you--in the hobby, and finding my first (and so far only) silver--a 1940 Merc, 4" deep.

I'm havin' a ball too. 😁

As you touched on in your post, being successful in finding the old coins is mostly about research. The obvious areas have been detected,in some cases for fifty years. When I started the hobby 40+ years ago you could be successful not doing much research and hitting the parks ,schools etc. and find a decent amount of coins in a day. It didn't take a lot of skill to find those places back then. It was just a matter of "see an old park, hunt it. See an old school ,hunt it." The good news about research today is that now the internet makes the research about as enjoyable as the hunt. Congrats on your first silver.

As you touched on in your post, being successful in finding the old coins is mostly about research. The obvious areas have been detected,in some cases for fifty years. When I started the hobby 40+ years ago you could be successful not doing much research and hitting the parks ,schools etc. and find a decent amount of coins in a day. It didn't take a lot of skill to find those places back then. It was just a matter of "see an old park, hunt it. See an old school ,hunt it." The good news about research today is that now the internet makes the research about as enjoyable as the hunt. Congrats on your first silver.
Yea definitly need to up my research skills. I bought the book "How to Research For Treasure and Hunting and Metal Detecting" and it's really good so going through that and note taking.

Congrats on your first Silver. 👏 WTG!!

Yea definitly need to up my research skills. I bought the book "How to Research For Treasure and Hunting and Metal Detecting" and it's really good so going through that and note taking.
I wouldn't say that's a bad idea, but I gotta think a lot of people may have read that book and will all be competing for/in those same (kinds of) places.

I would take what the book says and extrapolate. 😉

GREAT GOING and WELCOME to a VERY FINE FORUM !!

Scored #2 and #3 silvers last weekend. Went to an older town for a day trip and it paid off with 2 more Merc's (1925S and 1935 Philly). They look much cleaner than my first one.

I'm stoked.

Also found this super random parking token from Petosky, Michigan which I thought was pretty cool.

Attachments

• merc3.jpg
    merc3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 5
  • petoskymichigantoken.jpg
    petoskymichigantoken.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5
  • triplemerc.jpg
    triplemerc.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread