Finally found SILVER at my ghost town x2

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Well, I finally did it. Been searching this area off and on for a couple years, and Sunday I found 2 pieces of silver. A mercury dime and a standing liberty half. Both 42 s. All these finds were made in about 2.5 hours. It is so nice to only find coins from about 1950 and older. When you dig a coin, before checking it, you already know it's old. What a feeling. Found the chinese cash coin about 30 seconds after ground balancing. I had not even taken 1 step. Three steps away I found the Great seal military coat button. About an hour later I started finding more coins. You shoulda heard me yell when I found the half. I'm glad I wasn't alone, probably woulda felt weird. The standing lib was between a half and 1 inch deep. No coins were deeper than three inches. The other items are 3 marbles(1 is glazed clay type) small shoe buckle, suspender buckle. I remember about 2 months ago, I was asking around the forum for advice on buying a new machine, that would be good gor very junky iron infested areas. One guy said that I already had an xlt, and you cant do much better than that. That got me thinking, and that got me finding. I searched out a new area in the ghost town and put a 5" hothead on her, and havent looked back. Thanks everyone for advice and support. Wayne.

Attachments

• wen1.jpg
    wen1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 248
  • wen2.jpg
    wen2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 257
  • wen4.jpg
    wen4.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 256
  • wen5.jpg
    wen5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 249
  • wen6.jpg
    wen6.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0
here's the rest. Buy the way, both silver coins will grade out wonderfully. There 1942, and the town faded out about 1950. Go figger.

Attachments

• wen3.jpg
    wen3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 253
  • wen7.jpg
    wen7.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 254
  • wen8.jpg
    wen8.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 250
  • wen9.jpg
    wen9.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 251
WOW! You did good! ;D

Nana

Great finds and thanks for sharing. Your photos are excellent. What kind of camera are you using?
I would love to hunt a ghost town. NJ has some deserted areas but I probably would get shot if I tried to MD there.I have an older XLT and it has served me well. I still havent figured out all of the settings. :) ;D 8)

Excellent job!!

Keep it up, sounds like a good place to hunt!

HH

Lonewolfe

Lonewolf, I thought I was one of the rare birds that stayed up late reading these posts. I see you stay up late also. :)

? Great finds!!! ? great shape too! ? You might want to get the chinese coin checked. They can be centurys old. Found one here, it was over 200 yrs old. Much older than the area i live in.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?WTG!!! ? ? ?HH

Ver nice,,, WTG!!!
The coins look great... That button looks good too...
Good luck next time, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back