Finally! Big cornfield silver.

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Well, my cornfield silver drought is over. The first was the 1852 trime I posted a few days ago, and now I got this. There must have been a little iron around it because it was not rock solid both ways, but it was hitting 95, 96 and even bounced off 97 a time or two. I was thinking large cent or copper elbow. That's about all I have had hit that high. I was not thinking silver half at all, but when I saw the half lying in the dirt, I'm thinking, no way! A seated half?? I was at an 1860 homesite, and the usual stuff from those sites is large cents and 1860s and 70s IHPs.

I picked it up and wiped it off only to see a well worn Walking Liberty half. This house must have been there into the 1950s at least, since wear on the coin indicates it was dropped in that decade. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to get ANY silver half, and this is my second Walker this year. Got one last year, too, so I'm happy.

BigCornfieldSillver.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 42
Well, my cornfield silver drought is over. The first was the 1852 trime I posted a few days ago, and now I got this. When I saw the half lying in the dirt, I'm thinking, no way! A seated half?? I was at an 1860 homesite, and the usual stuff from those sites is large cents and 1860s and 70s IHPs.

I picked it up and wiped it off only to see a well worn Walking Liberty half. This house must have been there into the 1950s at least, since wear on the coin indicates it was dropped in that decade. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to get ANY silver half, and this is my second Walker this year. Got one last year, too, so I'm happy.

View attachment 2155078
Makes for a good day for sure. Congratulations

Well, my cornfield silver drought is over. The first was the 1852 trime I posted a few days ago, and now I got this. When I saw the half lying in the dirt, I'm thinking, no way! A seated half?? I was at an 1860 homesite, and the usual stuff from those sites is large cents and 1860s and 70s IHPs.

View attachment 2155078
Congrats

Sold it? Why I never......
I gotta ask. Did you get a premium due to its color, or just sell it for scrap, or?

Great find. Congratulations!

Well, my cornfield silver drought is over. The first was the 1852 trime I posted a few days ago, and now I got this. There must have been a little iron around it because it was not rock solid both ways, but it was hitting 95, 96 and even bounced off 97 a time or two. I was thinking large cent or copper elbow. That's about all I have had hit that high. I was not thinking silver half at all, but when I saw the half lying in the dirt, I'm thinking, no way! A seated half?? I was at an 1860 homesite, and the usual stuff from those sites is large cents and 1860s and 70s IHPs.

View attachment 2155078
NICE GOING Ron :) You sir are doing FANTASTIC :) I may be coming up this week to my sons

Nice job on the Walker, in my opinion, that is one of the best coins to dig.

View attachment 2155078
Niiiiiccceeee!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back