Finally 1800s silver!!!

CREEKGEEK

Oct 18, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i went to a new spot. Ive only been there twice before. Previously i managed to find an 1862 indian head, an 1846 spanish maravedis and a 1917 merc. I started where i left off a good hour with nothing to show. So i figured i would try a spot by the river. I figured they had to wash and drink. So maybe 20 mins in and countless pennies abd pulltabs later. I noticed a spot maybe 15x15 that looked cleared out at one point or bulldozed. I made my way over and got a nice deep high tone. 8 to 10 inches later success!!! Mind you i have found old silver and 1700s copper b4 but this is my oldest silver to date!!

ForumRunner_20130919_134205.png

ForumRunner_20130919_134155.png

ForumRunner_20130919_134139.png

Upvote 4
Sweet! I have yet to find any silver coins, so it's good to see they are still out there. Congrats.

Congrats on the big silver!!! Sweet barber half. :thumbsup:

Nice color, excellent condition.

Crisp! Very nice coin! Wouldn't touch the patina directly, but if you want it to shine you might try putting it under a bell jar with an open dish of baking soda next to (not touching!) it. Any excess sulfur coming off the surface will be absorbed by the soda, and the patina should mellow nicely over time.

Very nice Barber and great condition too! :thumbsup: Finding a big piece of silver can sure make your day! I have yet to find any silver larger than a dime before 1900. :laughing7:

Great half! :icon_thumright:

Steve

Nice!!! Got that 'river silver' look... That's a heck of a way to break into 1800's silver... Excellent find!

Nice barber half! Pound that spot get all you can! HH.

When you break into the 1800s for silver, you really know how to do it. Sweet Barber half! I'm still waiting for my first silver half of any age.

Heck of a find and great job sniffing it out!

You let the ground speak to you..and it paid off for sure:icon_thumright:

HH,
Chris

A friend has been detecting for 35 years and has made some great finds, but never a Barber half. Nice find and the condition appears close to an extremely fine. It's nicer than the ones I've found. Way to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back