Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I managed a short 45 minute hunt today while walking the dogs. We went to a huge set of cornfields across a creek from the fields that produced all my old large coppers. I found these 2 items together, about 3 inches down. There were colonial farms in the area but don't know if this particular one was part of them. The metal is very heavy but I don't believe it is lead. It is very slightly magnetic. A magnet will pull the items but does not stick. They appear to be a set of something but not really professionally manufactured. Perhaps made on the farm? As you can see they both are concave ( or convex, which is it? ). My first thought was part of a bit maybe? The metal appears to be folded over itself with the brads through it. I see no leather though in the fold. Hope someone here can give me input as to use or even age. Merry Christmas!
a3y4emar.jpg
esa7abu9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe what you have is two brass rivets and some leather still attached from an old rein or other horse harness tack. I have come across a few in that state before.

Upvote 0
What looks like leather is actually metal. I just used my pocket knife to scratch it and it appears to be brass, which explains why it has some weight to it. Thanks for your replies.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the replies. If this were the wooden window lock, I believe the backside of the brad would have been deeper because of being attached to wood. As I said, my first thought was part of a bit and bridle. The metal is folded over itself with the brad through it, which says some other material ( such as leather ) was attached to the metal. I can see how the metal looked like leather. The suggestion of it being a handle for a case or trunk is very plausible. If you look at the small tangs on each piece, it seems either they were self made or the one has much more wear than the other. This may be another find I never have ID'ed for certain. Thanks again for looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Hi all. Was looking through some of the posts in Today's Finds and came across one from Bill D in Va. He has a couple pics of recent finds that match these exactly. People there identified it as the posts on a brass bucket where the bail attaches. They are a perfect match to mine. After seeing his, I looked at mine again, and they actually were attached to each other as Bill's are in his pics. Thanks again for all your replies. This proves posting pics can not only help the original poster but some other reader as well. Good luck to us all and thanks for looking.The following link is Bill D's thread showing the item:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-colonial-goodies-including-2-kg-coppers.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back