Feeder tip penny??

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi I found this two years ago in the woods. It is a Lincoln Memorial Cent and looks to be earlier than clad. I thought it was hit by a lawnmower or a train but now I'm wondering. How could that happen out in the woods? I came upon a coin site that spoke of coins being struck on feeder tips. I thought I'd throw this out here for everyone to have a peek. Here are my pictures and the picture from a website. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Dsc02463.jpg
    Dsc02463.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Dsc02464.jpg
    Dsc02464.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Dsc02465.jpg
    Dsc02465.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Dsc02466.jpg
    Dsc02466.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 348
  • Dsc02467.jpg
    Dsc02467.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 350
  • Dsc02468.jpg
    Dsc02468.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 346
  • feederTip.jpg
    feederTip.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 390
The cent you are holding appears to be copper and therefore not a feeder tip. Actually, it looks like a blank planchet that may have been caught under a feeder tip, but I see no impression on the backside as well.... is there any impression at all on your blank? It looks like a prepared planchet (raised rim) that has been mutilated more than likely outside of the mint.

Upvote 0
Maybe someone was just goofing off with a hammer and a penny?

Upvote 0
Jeffro said:
The cent you are holding appears to be copper and therefore not a feeder tip. Actually, it looks like a blank planchet that may have been caught under a feeder tip, but I see no impression on the backside as well.... is there any impression at all on your blank? It looks like a prepared planchet (raised rim) that has been mutilated more than likely outside of the mint.

Hi Jeffro, I can see part of the memorial building on the reverse. I'm guessing it was hit by a train or something but thought I'd share it with everyone just in case. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
Something we must always keep in mind, just because we find something in the woods or at the beach or in a CW site doesn't necessarily mean it's always been there or that it originated there. Your odd cent could have been damaged at a railroad or by a lawn mower, etc. and then carried into the woods where it was lost or discarded.

It's not always easy to determine how a coin got damaged. But looking at your photos makes me think that your coin was damaged AFTER it left the mint. Something screwed up that much would have either 1) been a problem in the minting process itself and therefore been found and removed back when that Type was being made, or 2) been seen and removed from circulation long ago by another collector or curious person. Just my assumptions, nothing more. As always, take 'em or leave 'em.

Upvote 0
Hi I am new at posting things, but I am sure a will like it. Maybe your penny was used for target practice. I have shot at coins on edge at 25 yards with a 22 cal. rifle and received about the same results. Does the marks look like rifling? Just guessing.

Upvote 0
stilllooking said:
Hi I am new at posting things, but I am sure a will like it. Maybe your penny was used for target practice. I have shot at coins on edge at 25 yards with a 22 cal. rifle and received about the same results. Does the marks look like rifling? Just guessing.

Hello stilllooking, welcome to the forum! I did not see any rifling but who knows.... I thought it was a cool find and was going through all my stuff when I came across it. I'm glad I posted it as it's always fun to see weird stuff. Good luck detecting and post when you can. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back