Father’s Day Gold! A most Unusual Homemade ring.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son took me out today for Father’s Day. We went to a place that we’ve been to before and wound up detecting for most of the day. Not much was found, a couple Wheaties lots of trash and then this gold ring! What a great Father’s Day!

When it came out of the ground I knew it was gold but never have I seen a ring like this.
Obviously homemade.

01876E6E-BAE2-483D-BA33-2D50C0F53B8D.jpeg 4806F5DC-335A-4DD2-B363-D040A379D271.jpeg

Here it is cleaned up.
ADBFD935-7283-4D3C-AE8D-82FE1F20B944.jpeg

HH everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 17
Very interesting ring find, congrats! :occasion14:

Unusual for sure. Congrats on a nice day out with your son.

Wow! That a awesome Gold ring you dug. Never have seen one like it before. Congrats!

"Wire wrap" jewelry, often used to mount stones. Looks like copper around the top, and I hate to burst bubbles but most of this kind of jewelry is made from gold filled wire I think if you look closely where the wire ends are snipped the ends will be darker than the outside of the wire. A drop of acid at a jeweler's would give you positive yea or nay.

After enlarging the photos it does appear to be gold filled wire.

Last edited:
Nice hunt! Any time I can get out with my kids, its a good day!

Well... not matter what it is made of it sure is a unique one! Never have ever seen one anything like that. :icon_thumleft:

"Wire wrap" jewelry, often used to mount stones. Looks like copper around the top, and I hate to burst bubbles but most of this kind of jewelry is made from gold filled wire I think if you look closely where the wire ends are snipped the ends will be darker than the outside of the wire. A drop of acid at a jeweler's would give you positive yea or nay.

After enlarging the photos it does appear to be gold filled wire.

Thank you for the input. No need to be apologetic. I would much rather go to a jeweler with my eyes open.
As soon as I get it tested I will post the results. :occasion14:

Got the old 16x loop out and took a closer look. Gunsil, you are correct, i see the imperfections and concur the wire is gold filled. No need to have it tested.

Thank you for the heads up. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back