Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I've seen these on here before but I can't remember what they were ID'd as:

ForumRunner_20130206_192142.png

And then there's this:

ForumRunner_20130206_192201.png

It has this makers mark:

ForumRunner_20130206_192208.png

"W. Butcher
Warranted
Cast Steel
Sheffield
England"

All were found in the ruins of a colonial-era barn that may have seen use up to 2007.

Your second item is a blade from a handplane. It does not look colonial to me. Perhaps as far back as the 19th c. Google should give you more information on the maker and possible age.

Upvote 0
The second item is indeed a part of a hand plane. I'm guessing from the later half of the 1800's to the early 1900's. Definitely not colonial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the pic. I think it may have been used to hang something up. Couldn't have been used for anything too heavy because the chains aren't very stout. Just a guess of course. Definately not hobbles for cows or anything else because they are too long and they don't have the right ends for attatching to the legs.

Upvote 0
Your second item is a blade from a handplane. It does not look colonial to me. Perhaps as far back as the 19th c. Google should give you more information on the maker and possible age.

The W & S Butcher Company of Sheffield
This provides info on W. & S. Butcher Co. I agree with Erik, once he ID'd it, it was easy to see he's right. W&S Butcher started making knives and razors in 1819 and finished making edged tools in 1950.

Thanks for the pic. I think it may have been used to hang something up. Couldn't have been used for anything too heavy because the chains aren't very stout. Just a guess of course. Definately not hobbles for cows or anything else because they are too long and they don't have the right ends for attatching to the legs.

I actually found two of these, one is stiffer than the other (from rust) so it's soaking in ACV. I see what you mean about the chains, but I swear I've seen one of these on here before so SOMEone here must know what they were/are for.

I also found some old ceramic tile, I will be posting it all in Today's Finds once that chain is ID'd.

Upvote 0
First picture could very well be cow kickers. The ones we used looked like these but with different ends.

Upvote 0
got any pictures?

EDIT: Despite sharing the general shape of cow hobbles, I'm disinclined to believe that's what they are, only because every picture of antique hobbles I find has some manner of adjustable loops for the cow's legs, and these chains' loops are solid iron omega shapes. I'm just thinking logically, like always, so I could very well be wrong.

Other uses that come to mind are a fence pull chain, an old fixed tow chain, or something like that. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The company that made that cutter was around in the 19th century but the type with the slot to attach a cap iron are still made today.

Attachments

• Planes-5.jpg
    Planes-5.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 427
  • Planes-4.jpg
    Planes-4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,370
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The cutter is pushed further down as it wears and the overall length gets shorter. Yours looks as if it was never used or very little. Certainly no reason to discard it..

I sold a lot of planes on eBay. It will not hurt the value to clean the rust off the cutter with a wire wheel as long as you dont scratch it. Then wipe it down with Linseed Oil.

Attachments

• cast steel.jpg
    cast steel.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back