Farm machinary?

H

Holly_squirrel

image-2664245590.jpg

image-2881523600.jpg

It's nothing extroidanary , I'm sure .... But I found it in my yard... And after spending 2 hours carving and babying from a solid mass to what you see... I figured I should at least ask.. Any ideas? ... I feel like I should know what it is, it seems familiar

you sure your name isn't sandy?

Upvote 0
Battery cable clamp and post? or a hydraulic hose clamp? I've seen those before, but can't pinpoint where. Farm machinery is a good probability.

Upvote 0
Possibly. 10,000 different pieces of farm equipment over 150 years with 2 to 2,000 parts each are hard to keep a catalog of.

Upvote 0
I think it would clamp to a pipe or something rigid. It has a set screw that comes into contact with whatever is being clamped to and that wouldn't work on a cable or hose.

Upvote 0
skeeterd said:
I think it would clamp to a pipe or something rigid. It has a set screw that comes into contact with whatever is being clamped to and that wouldn't work on a cable or hose.

Good point

Upvote 0
You closely resemble a girl I went to school with.
p.s. I would hang it on the wall.

Upvote 0
Hi HollySnow, I believe you have a 'ground rod' clamp. It is used by electric co. to attach/secure the service ground wire to a large (1/2" to 1" dia. x4' to 6' long) solid copper rod that was driven into the ground. HH. yelnif...
Do you live in a old neighborhood? Service people used to be bad about just throwing their crap on the ground -seen them do it more than once. Just curious.

Upvote 0
Hi HollySnow, I believe you have a 'ground rod' clamp. It is used by electric co. to attach/secure the service ground wire to a large (1/2" to 1" dia. x4' to 6' long) solid copper rod that was driven into the ground. HH. yelnif...
Do you live in a old neighborhood? Service people used to be bad about just throwing their crap on the ground -seen them do it more than once. Just curious.

By Jove I believe you just nailed it. That clamp is an old style. The newer ones have a double row of teeth to grip the back side of the ground rod while the set screw tightens it.

This old clamp probably has zero value, but if the copper ground rod can be found, there IS some value to that. Should set any metal detector wild if it was within a foot of the surface.

M

Upvote 0
I'll look that up soon as I can. I found it in a horse field... Lol.... But it is a very old area... So anything is possible

Upvote 0
I think that's it!
I knew I'd seen them before.
I'm always digging up old ground rods(if they're solid copper). More modern ground rods (clad) really aren't worth digging up, as they have a steel core. That's why I always carry a magnet or a Leatherman multi tool with a file on it. I learned quick to file down a ways or test it with a magnet before I spend time digging it up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back