Fan's Roman Site - Day 1 - RARE BEARDED MAN...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will probably be one of my first 'on trend' posts....:thumbsup:
Fan's Roman Site is special as we believe it to be the living area of the Roman Metal Working Site, & even more special as it was found by Fan the dog. Land-Mag's belated companion & my mole digging friend.
Land-Mag & I did a short 2 hour & 45 minute hunt to start gridding this site before it's game over, & also to tune in Land-Mag's new machine.:occasion14:

I found 9 scrappies.

I also 'nicked' the best find from Land-Mag's run as I doubled back to close the gap after he took some time finding a scrappy;

Roman Bronze Bearded Face Mount/Fitment.:headbang: (although it has a Romano-Celtic look) Mostly likely a chest/box mount.

There are none recorded on the PAS with this type of fitment & very few recorded that are similar.(less than 7) They don't even know there function, guessing that its a vessel mount or furniture mount.
Funny enough I now have a near matching pair but the other one has a broken off fitting, found on the Field of 500.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 23
Awesome finds. Congrats :icon_thumright:

that is it i'm moving t England for detecting.:laughing9: great finds

I thought first you found a bearded man jug... This one is even better! Very very nice! I hope Landmag was not ticked off....looks like you owe him a beer. :occasion14:

Sweet finds!! Congrats!!

Amazing I wish O could be there Thanks for sharing with us great post

I thought first you found a bearded man jug... This one is even better! Very very nice! I hope Landmag was not ticked off....looks like you owe him a beer. :occasion14:
Not until I told him; ''glad you didn't find that, I would have been well jealous'':laughing7:

He took it really well, it wasn't as bad as Cru'dad telling him he missed a Celtic Gold by 2 inches....lol (however that was after I told Cru'dad we were in the right place & not to move like he wanted)

Amazing! My banner vote is in!

Very interesting face piece, congratulations! :occasion14:

If only the bearded man could talk. Amazing finds always good posts! Thanks for the interesting stuff!

The bearded man is just a cool piece, congrats

I pictured the back/side, so everyone can see the fitting.

Because this object & similar looking ones with different attachments are so rare & not in any books it's been mis-identified. I've seen this before, its worth more on the market as the God Woden (Anglo-Saxon) or Odin (Viking). However, I know it to be Roman. (PS. If I want to sell it, it's Viking:thumbsup:)

Awesome! Only 7 similar? Very very cool! :icon_thumleft:
Similar, none identical. 7 or less on the PAS. There will be others (not many) on the now private database(UKDFD), & collectors that haven't recorded them.

CHEERS everyone, just got back from another productive hunt on this land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back