Fancy buckle and it looks like an oldie. Pressed brass book mark with pierrot clown and ballerina.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Results from two spots this week.
spot 1
* corroded 1907 barber dime
* scout slide
*blow hole button
Lot of ammo here which is tough to pick through. Silver here comes out corroded unless it's pretty deep. I only had a few hours the dig anything solid and cross my fingers. Unfortunately a neighbor cut it short insisting it was posted and I had to leave. It's my 4th time here in the last year and no problems. Ive looked at the township open space map and area is all on there. There's no posted signs. Since I didn't have much time left anyway I just left.

Rest of items were from Sunday
*Roger's & son (probably wm. Rogers but it's broken there). Arbutus patern handle
*glass stopper
*The E. INGRAHAM COMPANY Bristol Conn pocket watch. They didn't start making pocket watches until 1913
*Brass and purple enamel piece. Has a rivet on back like it mounted on something
*pressed brass ballerina and pierrot clown book mark

*find of weekend was this silver washed buckle. Inards rusted out. Knee buckle is slowly getting some electrolysis. About 2.7 volts, few milli amps. Can't rush it with higher voltages on stuff this size and old.

Attachments

• 20231218_002226.jpg
    20231218_002226.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • 20231217_184047.jpg
    20231217_184047.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • 20231218_002447.jpg
    20231218_002447.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 21
Congrats on all the finds. I have found a number of knee buckles and shoe buckles; however, I can’t say I’ve ever found a solid silver one. Hope the electrolysis works out for you.

Nice buckle and fanDIMEtastic. The bookmark is a different find, too.
Grats and thanks for sharing.
HH & HH ALL
Thank you. Dime is rough. Fortunately I have this year from under water in much better shape. The cc 1877 dime I found here came out pretty corroded too. I imagine because they were both shallow and it takes a while to dry out. Buckle goes back in cell tonight. It's coming up. Definitely a strange signal being dual metals.

Nice selection of recoveries. Congrats
Well done on the silver buckles, not many are ever dug up it seems.
Cool book mar as well

If you're confident that it's public lands I'd stick to it, and if they return, politely ask who posted the site?
Some believe that they own something when they don't.
You could carry a copy of the map also outlining the boundaries.

Congrats on all the finds. I have found a number of knee buckles and shoe buckles; however, I can’t say I’ve ever found a solid silver one. Hope the electrolysis works out for you.
Unfortunately after all the rust came off there was a very little section under it of copper peaking through. So while it melts ice quickly and displays para-magnetic behavior the specific gravity is not what it should be for coin silver or sterling silver. It comes out to 8.5 where coin silver is 10.31 and sterling us 10.36. It certainly fooled me ringing up 26 to 28 and coming out so clean on exposed edges of frame. It's a surprise how well the wash held up. So I kinda jumped the gun on it on here.

Results from two spots this week.
spot 1
* corroded 1907 barber dime
* scout slide
*blow hole button
Lot of ammo here which is tough to pick through. Silver here comes out corroded unless it's pretty deep. I only had a few hours the dig anything solid and cross my fingers. Unfortunately a neighbor cut it short insisting it was posted and I had to leave. It's my 4th time here in the last year and no problems. Ive looked at the township open space map and area is all on there. There's no posted signs. Since I didn't have much time left anyway I just left.

Rest of items were from Sunday
*Roger's & son (probably wm. Rogers but it's broken there). Arbutus patern handle
*glass stopper
*The E. INGRAHAM COMPANY Bristol Conn pocket watch. They didn't start making pocket watches until 1913
*Brass and purple enamel piece. Has a rivet on back like it mounted on something
*pressed brass ballerina and pierrot clown book mark

*find of weekend was this silver washed buckle. Inards rusted out. Knee buckle is slowly getting some electrolysis. About 2.7 volts, few milli amps. Can't rush it with higher voltages on stuff this size and old.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Got buckle clean and unfortunately it's very thick silver wash... density doesn't check out. But it's still beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_20231220_214842_260.jpg
    IMG_20231220_214842_260.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 22

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back