Family legend....

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
When I was doing genealogical research on my family, I met what I thought at the time was relatives in Alabama. In Perry County had lived one of the grandsons of Martin Goodger/Goocher, who died in 1799. His name was Josiah and he owned a lot of land in Perry County. The descendant I met there told me that when the Union army was marching toward that area, they took the family silver and buried it on their property. After the war, they were never able to find it. So, unless a family member who was dishonest got to it first, it was never recovered and is still there. Some day it might be in the news (probably not since it was ONLY silver), being dug up or stumbled across accidently, possibly with a metal detector. I do know the area was not tillable land, so if it was in a marshy area (I think they said it was), it will never be found. If it was in a forested area (mostly evergreens), then it might grow big enough to be hunted and found.

That is how the Mohawk Valley silver horde was found. There was a legend about it, and a couple of detectorists used logic and clues to home in on the likely area, and they finally found it. That could probably be done with this silver horde, although the oldsters who had the best idea of the general area are growing old and dying off.

The gold ones are out there too, as we know from the stories of the California couple who kicked up cans of it on their property footpath and the farmer in Kentucky who recently found a Civil War gold horde in his field.

When I was doing genealogical research on my family, I met what I thought at the time was relatives in Alabama. In Perry County had lived one of the grandsons of Martin Goodger/Goocher, who died in 1799. His name was Josiah and he owned a lot of land in Perry County. The descendant I met there told me that when the Union army was marching toward that area, they took the family silver and buried it on their property. After the war, they were never able to find it. So, unless a family member who was dishonest got to it first, it was never recovered and is still there. Some day it might be in the news (probably not since it was ONLY silver), being dug up or stumbled across accidently, possibly with a metal detector. I do know the area was not tillable land, so if it was in a marshy area (I think they said it was), it will never be found. If it was in a forested area (mostly evergreens), then it might grow big enough to be hunted and found.

That is how the Mohawk Valley silver horde was found. There was a legend about it, and a couple of detectorists used logic and clues to home in on the likely area, and they finally found it. That could probably be done with this silver horde, although the oldsters who had the best idea of the general area are growing old and dying off.

The gold ones are out there too, as we know from the stories of the California couple who kicked up cans of it on their property footpath and the farmer in Kentucky who recently found a Civil War gold horde in his field.

It can be amazing what you find. Some times stories like these can be the money ticket. more than more famous well known treasure legends.

Crow

It can be amazing what you find. Some times stories like these can be the money ticket. more than more famous well known treasure legends.

Crow
Absolutely. The fewer degrees of separation from the truth of the story (if any) increases the odds of success by orders of magnitude. The well-known tales are fun, but in reality have devolved into campfire tales, or worse, mere whiskey talk.

Absolutely. The fewer degrees of separation from the truth of the story (if any) increases the odds of success by orders of magnitude. The well-known tales are fun, but in reality have devolved into campfire tales, or worse, mere whiskey talk.
YEP raggedy old Crow had heard more than his fair share of whisky talk.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back