*** FACT OR FICTION

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are stories about treasure like the 7 cities of gold and stories about heroes that won and lost But how many are actually true?

Lets start off with King Author. For years this was considered a fable but recent discoveries are changing that. His famed round table now hangs on the wall in the Great Hall of the Castle of Winchester.

I'm out of my realm on this one, so I googled King Arthur's table and saw this interesting story... It's like you say, fact, or fiction.. Perhaps a combination of the two :dontknow: The following is an updated story from July 12, 2010

Newser) – A group of thrilled historians claim to have discovered the site of King Arthur's storied "Round Table" at an ancient Roman amphitheater in Chester, England. But the discovery is a further indication that the "Round Table" was not a mere piece of furniture, but a massive wooden and stone structure that could seat some 1,000 people. The historians believe that noblemen of Camelot sat in the front row of the circular meeting place, with lower ranked subjects on stone benches in an outer circle.

Read more: http://www.newser.com/story/95263/king-arthurs-round-table-site-discovered.html#ixzz0wKGA4Zf6

I think it's reasonable to assume that most old treasure stories started from something and that they were gradually built upon as those stories continued to be passed through history. Just how much of these stories are fact and fiction, who can say for sure? But given human nature I'd say the greatest part of them have been exaggerated, and sometimes with purpose.

Or like in this case, underestimated. It's amazing that with all the history right in front of our eyes, we still have difficulty in pointing it out and getting a confirmation. I am pretty sure there is still a ton of treasure to be found in the hidden jungles of South America. These cities aren't "lost", we just can't find them :laughing7:

There is no doubt that some of these legendary treasures do exist, some like bigscoop mentioned are also exaggerated, and others just a legend, or a story out of control. Then there are the treasures that are unknown to all, but the person that buried it.

I remember in school we use to have to sit in a circle and take turns repeating a situational sentence, by the time the sentence got all the way around the circle it was never the same, not even close. I'm just suggesting that it's human nature to express things in more dramatic ways each time a story is told. This isn't to say that some stories are not true, just that it's human nature to alter them in individual fashion, which may or may not be accurate with the original version.

"Tom hid his pot of gold on a mountain."
"Tommy hid his big gold pot on a big mountain."

Same story, but the name has changed, the item has changed, and even the mountain has grown. A hundred years later you could end up investigating the wrong man, have the wrong perspective of what was hidden, and you could even end up on the wrong mountain. :laughing7:

You mentioned the old game that was called telephone, but it could be even worse like

"Tom hid his pot of gold on a mountain."
"Tony got old drinking from the fountain."

Some may embellish a story, others may add things that just sound better.. and the rest just get it wrong

When I research a treasure story I actually like to find different versions of the story! It gives me the opportunity to compare notes so to speak. I take all the parts that are the same and put them on the fact list. This is used as the basic factual story. I then look for common threads, maybe an item or other clue that appears in more than one story. Then things I look for are possible variations like take offs on names of people or locations, even changed names of geography. I also look for historical documentation or missing areas in documentation that should have been there.

Atlantis This is the biggie! Do you think it existed? and in what area?

U F O 's are they fact or fiction? Have you ever seen one ? Do you know anyone that has seen one?

I was prospecting on a GPAA claim in White Sands. It was getting dark. I heard a voice say,"Hello the camp." It was an old prospector. I offered coffee and the leftovers from supper. we were sitting around on our second cup of coffee when I heard a strange sound. I jokenly said, "Must be one of those little green men!" He replied instantly,"They aren't green ,they are gray!" I said'"How do you know?" He related the following story. ::: I was in the AAF at Roswell in '47. We were called out to clean up some debris.It was about 100yds. wide and 1/4 mi. long, a trail of what looked like present day mylar and small aluminum or some type of plastic I beams maybe 3" wide. It took almost all day because they made us craw around policing up the area, every piece! When we got back, the next Co. over was returning. A friend of mine in the Co. said they had seen a saucer app.20' in dia. crashed into the hillside. and I think there were 3 small gray men. One was still alive. ::: I ran some questions by him and the answers seemed to register correctly so take it for what it is worth!

The Spainiards, the pirates,and many other groups actually killed someone to bury with their treasure to guard it. So the only ones who actually knew where it was buried was the highest ranking person there. A small group was dispatches,usually in case of emergency, to bury a treasure to prevent it's capture by some other force. The only one that returned was the one in charge of burying it. The native American tribes used a different approach. If they captured a treasure, they buryied it and threatened to kill any in the group who told where it was buried. Usually only one knew of the exact location, and they usually were killed or replaced by someone else. In earlier times,it was not as hard for native Americans to overtake slow moving trains of burrows laden with gold and silver. It was also not hard for pirates to overtake ships heavy laden with gold,silver and precious gems. many treasure ships and treasure trains were ambushed and the treasure was taken elsewhere and deposited. During the civil war alone, many families were relieved of their gold and silver as well as their heirlooms,such as silver plate and silverware. Many mansions were looted and destroyed, and even entire towns wer destroyed. Most of these towns stached all their valuables together and were buried before they were invaded. Most of the residents were either killed or displaced, never to return.Most of the time those chosen to bury these were killed or driven away. It is estimated that more coins,gold,silver, jewelry and heirlooms are buried than is in existance today. Where it is, is anyones guess, as most were intentionally buried and lost, and of those most were given directions far away from the direction of the treasure. Happy Hunting. rockhound

I got a call a few years back from a buddy who met some folks who were looking for the 'Seven cities of Gold', they had vans, & all sorts of equiptment, they were based in a midwestern State, (they asked me to not give the location) or too much info about them.
They were intrested in a story about a (Black polished stone wall) deep in a local coal mine that was discovered in the 1920's.
They seemed to be very dedicated in their quest.

Fossis............

I think one has to look at the era of a story's first known point of origin. For instance, as with many of the Spanish explorers, many fabrications were forced upon different cultures, or greatly exaggerated, because without them there would be no hope of further commissions or financing upon their return to Spain. It's also important to note that during this long period of discovery many fortunes were discovered so it was rather easy to become earnest believers in many of the stories told by these returning explorers. As a result, many fortunes were spent looking for greater fortunes that never really existed. After a while it even became quite common for cultures that were familiar with Spain's obsession to fabricate stories of distant riches just to get rid of the Spanish. In turn, many of these stories were quickly passed around and likewise built upon. In many cases, I think this same processing of information is still very much alive today because we want to believe in these things so badly. On the other hand, some of these age old stories are still leading us to great discoveries even today. So first I think one has to take a good hard look at any story's first known point of origin and the era it was given birth.

Fossie: You sent them somewhere else and checked it out yourself,Right! Tell us what was behind the wall?

*******THE SAUCER REALLY DID CRASH IN ROSWELL!!!**********
I GOT IT FIRST HAND FROM AN OLD PROSPECTOR AT A GOLD CLAIM IN WHITE SANDS. HE WAS IN THE AAF IN '47 AT ROSWELL. This was years ago.
He said he was told they would "eliminate" him if he ever told anyone, but at his age he didn't care. I was wondering if anyone else picked up any reliable info. on this or any other UFO events.

Capt Kidd buried his last treasure at Indian river inlet. It has never recovered and he was hung shortly thereafter.

Reporters never tell the source of their best stories!

Magicians never tell the secret of their best tricks!

Frankn, you posted --> Atlantis This is the biggie! Do you think it existed? and in what area?

We, here in TN, found it some time ago. It is just about where legend says it should be, and in the correct land configuration, size etc. etc, and most importantly, exactly why and how it was destroyed..

Shall I post the data?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tayopa: I think I get your drift, but, pourvoir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back