Explorer XS vs Xterra 705

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older Explorer XS. I never really got the hang of the XS when I got it a few years ago but have been using it a lot lately. Ive been doing well with it and have gotten to like it. I would like to get another, newer detector and have been thinking about the Xterra 705.

My question is do I need it when I already have a more expensive but much older detector? Will it be as good or better than the Explorer XS? Ive heard its a better detector in bad ground with the gold coil. I like the manual ground balance too and some of the other features.

Weight isnt an issue. My XS was converted to a hip mount unit before I bought it.

The 705 is about the most I can afford right now too so other more expensive detectors are out of the question.

Anyone hunted with both of these detectors?

Anyone ??? Does this mean Explorer users never get another detector? :)

hand down the explorer is the better of the two............the explorer was way before its time . i still use one today . and ill wait till it dies to get another machine .......

I had an xterra 50 and a friend of mine uses the explorer. He has done real well with his explorer because he learned how to use it. The Xterra 50 I had was the best coin shooter I have ever owned and I had the 6" HF DD coil on it and it really sniffed out those keepers. I also had the 10" DD HF coil also. I did not like how the 10" DD coil made the Xterra bottom heavy and it did not balance right but you get used to it other than that it is a real light metal detector and you can swing all day long with it. I should have got the 5X10 Xterra coil and maybe it would have been better balanced. You can swing the xterra faster than an explorer and cover more ground faster too plus batteries will last alot longer on the xterra when using headphones. Not much of a learning curve with the xterra series either but if you want to cherry pick you need to learn what the numbers on the VDI represent with different targets. If your ground is mild you should be able to find coins and such down to 10 inches or so with ease. I never really found anything real deep with my Xterra but the explorer will go deeper than the xterra series. Best thing I can say is get one and see for yourself. The Xterra series seems to hold its value pretty good so if you do not like it you should be able to sell it easily.

Completely different detectors. You might as well be saying Explorer vs Tesoro ____. If your explorer runs well I can't see what a man. GB will do for you. Doing that in my opinion would be a big step back and a waste of money.

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have also said why I was thinking of another detector.

I want something I can move faster with and is decent in moderately mineralized ground. Ive been hunting relics on 500 acre farms lately. I also want something thats a turn on and go machine that is light and I can swing all day. I wont get rid of the Explorer but I want something in the price range of the Xterra 705 that is a decent detector. I hunt relics 95% of the time mostly fields and woods but sometimes old house sites.

My Nautilus and Fisher 1266x both with 10 inch coils will go as deep as I would ever want to go but neither one of these is good in bad ground.

rjs123 said:
Thanks for the input. I guess I should have also said why I was thinking of another detector.

I want something I can move faster with and is decent in moderately mineralized ground. Ive been hunting relics on 500 acre farms lately. I also want something thats a turn on and go machine that is light and I can swing all day. I wont get rid of the Explorer but I want something in the price range of the Xterra 705 that is a decent detector. I hunt relics 95% of the time mostly fields and woods but sometimes old house sites.

My Nautilus and Fisher 1266x both with 10 inch coils will go as deep as I would ever want to go but neither one of these is good in bad ground.

The Explorer can do all that except for the weight. People who say you can't swing fast I suggest they try it. In cleaner areas you can basically swing as fast as you'd want to swing, and in trash you slow down, but moving slow when there is masked targets is the way it is for every detector. If you use the old style coil you could probably switch to the pro to making the detector lighter and you'd be good to go.

Thanks Iron Patch. Didnt know I could use those newer coils. I think Id like to try the 11 inch coil on the Explorer XS.

rjs123 said:
Thanks Iron Patch. Didnt know I could use those newer coils. I think Id like to try the 11 inch coil on the Explorer XS.

It's basically the same size as the old stock coils just much lighter.

if you have explorer its max what you can get this days, xterra not so bad detector, but its not better and you dont have it. If you want spend money buy, but you will not gain anything.
in other words, if you had etrac would you think about xtera? suspect no, so your old explorer xs can do anything what etrac can if you use it rightly. I know, I use it. second forget about any coil except original xs 1000 or 1050, its just waist of money. have, had allot coils and tested all, but ended with original one. good luck, Stasys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back