Exploded Revolutionary War Cannon: Chunk Number Two Recovered!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great news! This evening I found ANOTHER piece of the Revolutionary War exploded cannon, that matches the 33lb section that I found just a month ago! This means the cannon DID in fact explode on the property I am detecting! This piece only weighs three pounds but it is most certainly a chunk from the same cannon! It was 20 feet from the hole I dug for the large chunk. I can't wait to try and find more pieces.

Here is the link to the first chunk.........

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...nial-iron-3-smooth-bore-cannon-dug-today.html

Had i dug this piece FIRST it would have been thrown in the scrap bucket. I sure am excited. Thanks for looking!
IMAG1923.jpg
IMAG1927.jpg
IMAG1926.jpg
IMAG1925.jpg

Brass wedding band also dug tonight, from same time period on up to 1860s.
IMAG1922.jpg

Upvote 2
I was wondering about this! I would think you should find other pieces if it exploded in the area???

Congrats! Awesome finds, must be a great property!

I was wondering about this! I would think you should find other pieces if it exploded in the area???
My initial thoughts were that it was a war souvenier, but then I kind of dog housed the idea when I factored in the chunk's weight, and the likelihood of a soldier lugging the thing from the battlefield(closest known skirmish site is 15 miles south). I hoped to find another chunk to verify the location of the explosion. Now I know with certainty that the cannon exploded in the vicinity of my dig site.

That is GREAT man! Hope you can find the rest! Wonder what engagement it was from? If it was being fired from that spot, and you can figure out from where, to where, you may have another good site to detect that could yield more finds!

(closest known skirmish site is 15 miles south)

Hey FoundinNC,

Sounds as if you're rewriting the local history, single handed. Well done, sir!

Have you alerted the local Historical folk yet?

art+explod.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back