Excaliber II coil cable

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new Excal is en-route, cant wait.

I have been doing a ton of research on this machine and have already purchased a knob protector for it. I am also looking into shaft replacement but want to run it a few hunts to see if that is something I need. I have all the newby settings saved on a cheat sheet and laminated it for field carry, read about switching from PP to Disc, etc, etc ,etc.

So, my issue is...........when I get the machine in and set forth to putting her together how do I wrap all of that coil wire? I have watched videos, looked at others pics and it appears that the lower shaft has the fewer wraps with proper stress free tension at coil and then upper portion gets the bulk in a tighter wrap? I am kind of OCD and like neat cable management (electrician, fire alarm systems tech).

Anyone have pictures of their machine I can use as a reference or any tips on this?

Thank you much for any help/guidance

fish1on,

Good Luck with the new Excal. Here's a picture of a stock S-Shaft Excal with one of my Shaft Converters installed. The coil cable runs behind (electrical tape) the lower shaft and wraps around the upper shaft. I also manufacture and sell a Hip Mount for the Excal.

IMG_3372.JPG

fish1on,

Good Luck with the new Excal. Here's a picture of a stock S-Shaft Excal with one of my Shaft Converters installed. The coil cable runs behind (electrical tape) the lower shaft and wraps around the upper shaft. I also manufacture and sell a Hip Mount for the Excal.

View attachment 1360268

Thank you for the reply and pic, very clean setup.

Your sig block says 36 years of service and USAF Vet......Thank you for all that you have sacrificed for our country.

My wife served 22 years active duty USAF and I served 8 years Active USAF and still serving federal 16 years now. I will end up retiring with over 40 years combined and get a fancy pin for it LOL.

f0c20b74f1e33501d9b45f95b61e14d5.jpg

05709c983a3a1c67d1c81fbaaa39d6b7.jpg

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Nice setup TH thank you for the pic. Looks like the older blue has less coil cable than the newer models?Did you mod the machine by installing the larger coil and shorten the cable?

You should never shorten the cable, the excal is tuned to the length of the cable, cable looks shorter only because the shaft is fully extended.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

How is that larger coil working for you? How did you build that pinpoint button? And how did you mod the new phones? Looks like a great setup. I changed out my knobs, put on a knob protector and use an Anderson straight shaft. I am curious about the larger coil for more surface coverage. And I HATE the stock headphones. How does the pinpoint button work for you?

A shorter cable means faster response due to timing and lower capacitance. Who says not to?

A shorter cable means faster response due to timing and lower capacitance. Who says not to?

Tuned to factory specs, does not mean it's the best for hunting in saltwater. I run shorter cables and seems the performance gain is from less noise, caused by less cable been exposed to the saltwater and the movement of the cable in those conditions. Every locations salinity is different so expect different results.

No play in my cables to cause falsing. It is funny, I will see some at beach with a single tie on cable, cable flopping all over, and see others with what looks like a rats nest of cable at the coil.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

All good info as I too am buying on very soon !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back